Web and Unmanaged
1748266 Members
3441 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

V1910 can see the MAC of a router on one port but gets no ARP info and no IP addr for that router

n3mmr
Advisor

V1910 can see the MAC of a router on one port but gets no ARP info and no IP addr for that router

I have ten or so V1910 switches distributing internet to all flats in a condo (in stockholm, sweden).
Each tenant is obliged to have a router, an always-on NAT router, as the only device connected to the condominium network. The condo network is connected to a common internet provider through a zyxel usg2000.
DHCP is done by a Zyxel USG 2000 feeding a top switch, so all private routers get an address in 10.0.0.0/16 from the USG2000.
For most tenants, Network->ARP and select by port shows the ethernet address of their respecive routers, and Network->ARP Management and select by port shows the IP address for their routers. Except for one tenant, where I can only see a MAC address (verified to be correct, and verified by disconnect/refresh/reconnect/refresh to be actually seen live) in the MAC list, but no bound IP address in ARP management.
The tenant is cantankerous to put it mildly, so I'm searching for clever ideas to avoid having the tenant try and try again for testing.
His router is a Netgear WND3700.
1.. Can I trust the V1910 web management gui to give me the correct info?
2. What could be the problem that leads to ARP management not to work for his connection??

Customer Baffling Expert
2 REPLIES 2
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: V1910 can see the MAC of a router on one port but gets no ARP info and no IP addr for that route

Maybe his DHCP isn't working.

Looks to me like you have ethernet up and running, so the problem isn't your problem.

Get your own home router and connect it to that router port.
Does it get a DHCP address?
If so, are you responsible for supporting the tenants home router?
If not, tell him to hire some help.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: V1910 can see the MAC of a router on one port but gets no ARP info and no IP addr for that route

Since you manage the ZyXEL USG 2000 Firewall what's about checking DHCP Server logs (to check DHCP requests related to the tenant Router's MAC Address) on that unit to understand if the issue is ZyXEL/Switch or (tenant) Router side?

I agree with @Vince-Whirlwind: if you connect on the Ethernet port in which the tenant connected his Netgear Gigabit Router with a host set to obtain IP Address from a DHCP Server and if the ZyXEL USG 2000 is properly configured (supposing you bind MAC Addresses with DHCP IP Leases, as example) then receiving an IP Address lease on the 10.0.0.0/16 subnet will mean that the issue is typically Router side (specifically on the Router's WAN Interface [*]).

I'm supposing HPE OfficeConnect 1910 Switches are all configured the same way (especially excluding non default configurations about DHCP Snooping).

Also ask the tenant to double check his router WAN Interface configuration (that should be correctly configured) and router's Firmware version (there are five - yes five - Hardware versions for the product Netgear WND3700, each one has various Firmware revisions...ask him to show you that the router is properly updated with latest Firmware version for its Hardware version...never say never speaking about Firmware bugs).

[*] Does that router admit IGMP Ping done from outside against its WAN Interface?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner