108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: V1910 - VLANs across multiple switches

SOLVED
Go to solution
kriebelgas
Occasional Visitor

V1910 - VLANs across multiple switches

I have 2 HP V1910G switches and I have setup two VLANs on both.

SW1: downstairs - VLAN 1 IP 10.1.3.201, VLAN 2 IP 192.168.2.201
SW3: upstairs - VLAN 1 IP 10.1.3.203, VLAN 2 IP 192.168.2.203
Router X0 10.1.2.25 (normal LAN gateway)
Router X3 192.168.2.25 (accounting dept gateway)

VLAN 1 (default VLAN): normal LAN, 10.1.x.x subnets
VLAN 2: accounting department, 192.168.2.x subnet

The VLANs all work perfectly fine within the same switch.  But I am having trouble getting the traffic to go from one switch to the other.

Everything works fine on VLAN 1 (default) between the two switches and all the traffic can reach the router.  This was basically plug and play.

For VLAN 2, on the SW1 I can ping the router from the switch and the switch from the router, but I cannot ping SW3 or the client PC.

On the SW3 I can ping the client PC from the switch and the switch from the client PC, but I cannot ping SW1 or the router.

Here are the port configs:

SW1 port 2 (physical connection to router)
Type: Access
Untagged Membership: VLAN 2
PVID: 2

SW1 port 47 (physical connection to SW3)
Type: Trunk (also have tried Hybrid)
Untagged Membership: VLAN 1
Tagged Membership:  VLAN 2
PVID: 1

SW3 port 47 (physical connection to SW1)
Type: Trunk (have also tried Hybrid)
Untagged Membership: VLAN 1
Tagged Membership:  VLAN 2
PVID: 1

SW3 port 45 (physical connection to client PC)
Type: Access
Untagged Membership: VLAN 2
PVID: 2

What piece of the configuration am I missing in order to get the traffic on VLAN 2 to pass between the two switches?  I have been working at this for about 4 days and have exhausted my own limited knowledge.

Thank you.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to Web and Unmanaged. -HP Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Why do you have IP addresses on the VLAN2 interfaces on both switches? What are those addresses for?

What is the default GW of Switch3?

What is the default GW of VLAN2 devices attached to Switch3?

kriebelgas
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Problem is solved.  It had nothing to do with the switches' config - it was a simple cabling issue.

Actually it was the lack of documentation by whoever installed the wiring in this building.  We had SW2 port 47 connected to the port in the patch panel which we THOUGHT was the physical connection to SW1 downstairs.  Turns out it wasn't at all; the actual run was punched to port 11, not port 48 so that's why VLAN1 would pass through but not any of the other VLANs.

Vince, the IP addresses on the VLAN 2 interfaces were simply put there so I could attempt to ping devices on VLAN 2, and to ping the other switches on VLAN 2.  Otherwise they have no purpose.