Advancing Life & Work
1745832 Members
4059 Online
108723 Solutions
New Article
Curt_Hopkins

Re: Networking and Distributed Systems Lab’s intern wins Best in Class for summer project

Vivek Adarsh, an intern in the Networking and Distributed Systems Lab, won Best in Class for his project “SARAS: Intelligent Edge Acceleration Using SmartNICs” at the 2020 HPE Virtual Intern Project Fair. Adarsh was amongst over 400 interns who shared their project deliverables, outcomes, and impact with HPE employees in the U.S. over a three-day period in August 2020.

Vivek AdarshVivek Adarsh

“We developed a new system called SARAS to make it the go-to platform for scaling network-dependent application processing at the edge,” says Adarsh. “With SmartNICs or smart network interface cards, we can maximize performance and energy efficiency of edge computation while minimizing costs. Our platform aims to enhance the capabilities of HPE’s edge-to-cloud portfolio with offerings like HPE GreenLake, EdgeLine, and Aruba ESP.”

Adarsh currently is a doctoral student in computer science at the University of California, Santa Barbara. His areas of research include wireless networking, networked systems design, and reinforcement learning.

“Working on a research project like this afforded me the opportunity to showcase my work to a broader audience of experienced professionals within the company,” says Adarsh. “With this project, I hope to make a tangible impact on how edge computing is viewed and operated in the future.”

SmartNIC cardSmartNIC card

In HPE’s first-ever completely virtual summer internship program, Adarsh and his fellow interns made the most of their situations during a global pandemic.

“With the onset of legal restrictions on physical movement, I saw my peers scrambling to find answers about their summer internship offers,” says Adarsh. “Fortunately, right from the get-go, HPE notified us about the continuation of the virtual internship program despite all the logistical complexities associated with such a decision. HPE shipped our working equipment and we were constantly updated about the virtual onboarding process.”

“HPE continued its commitment and investment in our interns during the pandemic when many Bay Area companies pulled back or canceled their programs,” says Helen Lum, Intern Program Coordinator at HPE. “We planned many virtual professional and social events to ensure our interns could still experience the best of HPE. They were exposed to a wealth of career opportunities and heard directly from our executive leadership team. We couldn’t have been more thrilled to bring a team of talented young professionals into the HPE family to help build their professional careers.”

Even without traditional onsite, face-to-face interactions and meetings, Adarsh felt that his internship didn’t miss a beat. 

Working with talented colleagues across the board and getting access to novel research ideas make Hewlett Packard Labs an ideal place to thrive professionally and personally.

“One of the key takeaways of this non-traditional internship is that despite its challenges, I experienced a tremendous amount of positivity from my peers and mentors Dr. Tootaghaj and Dr. Mercian,” says Adarsh.

“Hewlett Packard Labs has a strong internship program,” says Puneet Sharma, Director of Networking and Distributed Systems Lab at HPE. “Our internship team puts together a rich program with job fairs and cultural and team-building events. It’s not just a matter of one summer, but about building long-lasting collaboration with the students, their advisors, and their universities. Participating in an internship is a great way to train and develop as a future researcher for HPE.”

“The work environment at Hewlett Packard Labs is very conducive for research and development,” says Adarsh.  "Working with talented colleagues across the board and getting access to novel research ideas make Hewlett Packard Labs an ideal place to thrive professionally and personally." 

For more information about our internships, visit #HewlettPackardLabs or #HPECareers and apply today.

Curt Hopkins
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

twitter.com/hpe_labs
linkedin.com/showcase/hewlett-packard-labs/
labs.hpe.com

About the Author

Curt_Hopkins

Managing Editor, Hewlett Packard Labs

Comments
Niranjan Sahoo

Team work by the talented youngster is really good.  I wish their bright future. It will help them and also for society.