Advancing Life & Work
1767161 Members
2971 Online
108957 Solutions
New Article ๎ฅ‚
Labs_Editorial

Re: Bridging the Gap Between Academia and Industry

Luca Buonanno said he enjoys the collaborative culture and the ability to work on challenging projects at Hewlett Packard Labs.Luca Buonanno said he enjoys the collaborative culture and the ability to work on challenging projects at Hewlett Packard Labs.

While studying for his PhD and working as a teaching assistant at a university in Milan, Luca Buonanno saw a posting on LinkedIn for an opportunity with Hewlett Packard Labs that seemed to match his skills and interests perfectly. He knew it would be a great fit.

A former research colleague at Politecnico di Milano had posted this opportunity, looking for a postdoctoral research associate to join his team. Buonanno figured he had the experience โ€“ six years researching topics like the physics of electronic devices. And Hewlett Packard Labs offered a way for him to transition from academia to the industry side.

โ€œI had a chance to essentially glue my experience with device technology with the industry experience of the design team,โ€ Buonanno said. โ€œSometimes thereโ€™s a gap between researchers and professional engineers, and this opportunity gave me the chance to communicate with both.โ€

Buonanno joined the Labs team in 2021. He spent his first year working remotely from Italy. Then he joined his new team in California in March of 2022.

Luca BuonannoLuca BuonannoThe shift from academia to industry was an adjustment; he found himself working in newer areas with access to tools that were able to further his research efforts. The biggest difference? Industry-based research had much bigger budgets and a much broader scope.

โ€œDoing research on smaller teams in academia gives you the flexibility to do exploratory research, but theyโ€™re often bound by stringent budgets,โ€ said Buonanno. โ€œHaving larger teams that are grounded in industry perspective helps you solve challenges faster.โ€

New Experiences at Labs

At Hewlett Packard Labs he has worked on several projects, most notably a tape-out project that was completed in March 2023. The project centered around memory technologies, specifically the use of novel associative memories, for achieving faster computation. Buonanno used his expertise in researching the physical world of devices and applied it in a practical way.

These experiences also opened him up to another aspect of being on the industry side of research โ€“ working alongside industry partners. Devices and projects he worked on were being prototyped faster than he had ever experienced. He cites the network of industry partners Hewlett Packard Labs has as a key aspect for why the company is able to put forward cutting-edge research and products.

โ€œOne thing Iโ€™ve learned is that having an industry partner have your back means you have the tools to do research the right way,โ€ Buonanno said.

His advice for other postdocs looking for career experiences?

โ€œDonโ€™t be afraid to look for opportunities outside of academia,โ€ said Buonanno. โ€œAcademia is a great place to start, but you grow a lot as a professional when you can absorb from industry as well.โ€

Buonanno wanted to keep his mind as open as possible after his time as a postdoc research associate. So he explored some opportunities with other companies but ultimately decided to continue the work he started at Labs.

โ€œThe research teams I interviewed with were great, but the work I did here was so fascinating to me,โ€ Buonanno said. โ€œThere are so many things that I can still absorb from people I work with, so I decided to stay and keep contributing.โ€

Labs' Collaborative Culture

Buonanno said Hewlett Packard Labsโ€™ collaborative culture helped drive his success. He sees fewer silos and more open knowledge sharing across teams, which allows for the strengths of different teams to come together on research projects.

As he embarks on his new career with Hewlett Packard Labs, Buonanno looks back at his time as a postdoctoral research associate as a transformational period that can be a model for others considering leaving academia.

โ€œIf someone feels they would be a great fit for academia someday, then working in the industry at a place like Hewlett Packard Labs would be a great place to gain valuable experience,โ€ Buonanno said. โ€œYouโ€™ll have the chance to learn a path you can grow into and get to a point where youโ€™re more knowledgeable than when you arrived.โ€

Buonanno knew he was a fit for the role when he saw it. Taking the chance to show off his skills gave him the opportunity to experience a new field and become a vital connector between researchers and engineers.

Do you feel like Hewlett Packard Labs has the perfect role for you? View Labsโ€™ postdoctoral opportunities here.

About the Author

Labs_Editorial

Comments

The role of industry partnerships in accelerating research, speaks volumes about the visionary approach of the company. It's also heartening to see the emphasis on collaborative culture, shedding light on the integral aspects of modern organizations that foster innovation. This is a sterling example of the synergy between individual talent and organizational prowess.