Around the Storage Block
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expand your Microsoft Exchange universe with HPE Apollo Gen10

StorageExperts

Explore how to “hyperspace” your Exchange 2016 environment on the HPE Apollo Gen10 platform with more processing, performance, and capacity, still in a space-efficient 2U node. Discover the advantages of Microsoft Exchange on the new HPE Apollo storage system.

Exchange on Apollo_social.pngGet hyperspace savings with Exchange on ApolloIt’s hard to believe but Microsoft Exchange Server was originally released 25 years ago. Today, it’s the leading enterprise email application with an estimated installed base of 300 million seats, per the Radicati group. As recent research from that same analyst attests, email is still the top form of online communication, even in light of the popularity of social networks, instant messaging, chat, and other new collaboration apps. They put the current number of email users at 3.8 billion, which is a remarkable 78% of the estimated 4.9 billion adult humans on the planet. (Especially remarkable given that over 1 billion humans still live without electricity!) 

The popularity of and familiarity with Exchange means that we can expect to have it remain the indispensable corporate communication and scheduling tool for now and into the future.  I know I use it every day and it’s usually the first thing I open on my smartphone in the morning, and last thing I check in the evening. Though my mailbox always seems to be exploding, I know it’s not just me: Radicatti detailed in that same report that the world is sending/receiving 281 billion emails daily, expected to exceed 333 billion in 2022.

Blasting off with Exchange on Apollo

At HPE, we see a large portion of our storage business related to Microsoft Exchange solutions, and it’s the top workload when it comes to our storage efforts around the HPE Apollo 4200 system. Long known for primarily HPC and related object storage tasks, the HPE Apollo Systems have for some time been producing a storage server, the Apollo 4200 line. Because of its high-density “hyperspace” savings design, the Apollo 4200 servers have become a preferred platform for large Exchange deployments.

In this area, our Microsoft storage solutions provide a dense, high-capacity storage platform for Exchange customers who want to continue to run Exchange on premises. We see this continuing as a trusted solution for our G2000 customers, whether on the current Exchange 2016 code, or as you chose to upgrade to the new Exchange Server 2019 version.

Introducing the new HPE Apollo 4200 Gen10 storage systems

The new HPE Apollo 4200 Gen10 storage system is optimized for storage density and performance. Information on this enhanced platform is available in a number of related blogs and communications, including this overview blog from our recent HPE Discover announcement: The world’s most intelligent storage with new AI, cloud data mobility and all-flash enhancements. You’ll also want to check out this blog focused on the Apollo 4200: Apollo 4200 Gen10 Server: An all-rounder to handle your storage-intensive workloads.

Highlights related to Exchange and non-Exchange workloads

Let me focus on some of the features that are relevant to Exchange or any workload running on Apollo. The first thing to point out are the chip set updates. The 4200 uses Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors which provide more cores than in the past, for increased proHPE Apollo Gen10.pngFront-facing image of new Apollo Gen10cessing power. 

Next, the updated system leverages new DDR4 SmartMemory that supports more memory transactions per second than the Gen9 system. 

Finally, the Gen10 system has the option to use the latest persistent memory media, both in the form of NVDIMMs as well as NVMe storage. Details are available in the system QuickSpecs.

Scale up Exchange on HPE Apollo Gen10 

The new HPE Apollo 4200 Gen10 provides high density storage to support the largest of Exchange environments. It gives a space-age boost to Exchange in a number of ways:

• Scalable platform for enterprise use—This high-capacity system scales to 414.7 TBs per server or 8.3 PBs per rack. This translates into a platform that easily accommodates 1000s of users, and users with large mailboxes of 10s of GBs or more.
  • High-density capacity—The Apollo Gen10 can fit up to 28 large-form-factor (LFF) or 54 small-form-factor (SFF) drives in just a 2U system. This trim footprint minimizes email administration, as well as the related cost of space and energy.
  • Enhanced performance—As detailed earlier, the Gen10 system is using new Intel chip sets that deliver enhanced performance. Increased processor cores and more memory transfers per second provide an improved user experience across your entire Exchange environment.

Also note that HPE provides a library of reference architectures and similar technical whitepapers available online for our Microsoft solutions, including Exchange. We have been publishing Exchange Solution Reviewed Program (ESRP) certifications along with Microsoft, and are continuing to update our testing with this new storage hardware, as well with the new version of Exchange Server.

The HPE storage solution for Microsoft Exchange is trusted by some of the world’s largest organizations, including Fortune 25 financial services companies, central banks, and government ministries.

Where to boldly go for more information

Now is a great time to evaluate a future-proofed storage platform for your Microsoft Exchange environment. The new HPE Apollo 4200 Gen10 will improve the performance of your Exchange 2016 environment—and it has the SSD support needed for your upgrade to Exchange 2019 when the time comes.

Catch up here on the HPE Apollo 4200 Gen10 news as well as our Microsoft storage solutions and related publications:

Mike Harding_HPE.pngMeet Around the Storage Block blogger Mike Harding, Head of Product Management for Microsoft Storage solutions, HPE. Mike leads the product management of HPE Storage Solutions for Microsoft. He came to HPE via Nimble Storage, and prior to that led the marketing of the NetApp Converged Infrastructure effort, including the multi-billion dollar FlexPod solution. Mike has over 25 years of product management and marketing experience at both start-ups and larger tech companies and tweets regularly under the handle @mhardi01.

0 Kudos
About the Author

StorageExperts

Our team of Hewlett Packard Enterprise storage experts helps you to dive deep into relevant infrastructure topics.

Events
June 18 - 20
Las Vegas, NV
HPE Discover 2019 Las Vegas
Learn about all things Discover 2019 in  Las Vegas, Nevada, June 18-20, 2019
Read more
Read for dates
HPE at 2019 Technology Events
Learn about the technology events where Hewlett Packard Enterprise will have a presence in 2019.
Read more