Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Languages and Scripting
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shl_findsym does not find function

jhoernle
Occasional Visitor

shl_findsym does not find function

Hello!

I have a strange problem on HP-UX 11.0 with a SL I have built myself and I try to load in Perl.
Perl complains about an unresolved symbol "boot_bla" and refuses to load the SL. When I do a nm(1) on the SL the function is listed as "T" - should be OK, I suppose.
Now I created a little C test program and the funny thing is that a shl_findsym(TYPE_PROCEDURE) also says 'unresolved external' whereas a shl_getsymbols() does find it (as PROC).

I searched already on the WWW for any known problem with shl_findsym but could not find anything.

Other possibly important details might be:
- the SL is built from a C++ module with g++
linked with ld
- the function in question is extern "C"
- another SL which I built (C++, g++, ld,
but not extern "C") works normally
- the failing SL works nicely on Linux and
Solaris :-|

Any hints are greatly appreciated!
Thx,
tge
1 REPLY
Highlighted
ranganath ramachandra
Esteemed Contributor

Re: shl_findsym does not find function

the problem is very likely an unresolved data symbol in that function ("boot_bla"). in your test program, you can try shl_loading with BIND_IMMEDIATE|BIND_VERBOSE to see the name of the unsat.