1753672 Members
5426 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data transfer between unix and window

heaman1
Regular Advisor

Data transfer between unix and window

We have unix and windows server in my network , some files will regularly transfer from windows to unix server , I know there are many methods can do that like , ftp , scp , or use samba mount etc , I think each method have their merit and disadvantage , can advise which method ( any kind of mothod is ok ) is the best one ?
17 REPLIES 17
Sunny123_1
Esteemed Contributor

Use SCP it is the best one.

Regards
Sunny
Sunny123_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Heaman1

Scp - secure copy between hosts. See more info and examples in following link.

http://acs.ucsd.edu/info/scp.shtml

# scp -p file hostb:/destination
#scp -p file remotehost or ip:/destination
You then see it copy and the % complete

Regards
Sunny

avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

Hello,
if you want secure transfer which is safe can use scp,
samba will be easy and user friendly also, but its not that much secure.

may refer below what are the advantages with scp, thanks
http://docs.hp.com/en/5992-4213/ch06.html
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

1. FTP
Unix FTP can be used to transfer files between PC's and Unix-based file servers. File transfer protocol (FTP) is the network protocol that is used to transfer the files from the PC to the Unix file server over TCP. The Unix file server will need to have an FTP server installed, and the PC will need to have an FTP client installed. The standard port for FTP communication is port 21.
2. SCP
SCP move files to or from your current location. It always uses binary mode. You can work as either the current user on the starting machine or a different user. It always asks for the user's password.
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

1. FTP
Unix FTP can be used to transfer files between PC's and Unix-based file servers. File transfer protocol (FTP) is the network protocol that is used to transfer the files from the PC to the Unix file server over TCP. The Unix file server will need to have an FTP server installed, and the PC will need to have an FTP client installed. The standard port for FTP communication is port 21.
2. SCP
SCP move files to or from your current location. It always uses binary mode. You can work as either the current user on the starting machine or a different user. It always asks for the user's password.

thanks and regards

Sajjad Sahir
heaman1
Regular Advisor

thx replies ,

I got many suggestions but I am not easy to decide to use what method , what my requirement is to complete the data transfer precisely , please ignore the security issue as the data is not sensitive , if I add this requirement , which method I should use ? thx
avizen9
Esteemed Contributor

then samba will be best option for you, thanks,
Suraj K Sankari
Honored Contributor

Hi,

If security is not an issue then you can use samba because after mount it will be like a windows machine just copy and peast files.

or

ftp also a easy to use you go for ftp also

Suraj
subodhbagade
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Apart from "ftp" get/put commands you can try following tool to copy the data from/to windows and unix server.

(1)filezilla
(2)winscp

This tool is easy to use, you can drag and drop the data easily also you can see how much % has been copied.

Regards
Subodh.