1748011 Members
4355 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ssh problem

Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

ssh problem

Hi guys. I've been having a problem when I try to connect using ssh on a Tru64 5.1B server. I can't connect to the server, it says the service is not available. When I try to start the service it displays an error message. I also used ssh -v to see the debug information of the service and this is what it shows:

debug: SshAppCommon/sshappcommon.c:185: Allocating global SshRegex context.
ssh: FATAL: pipe: No such file or directory

I don't really know how to solve this problem. It appears that one file is missing but I have no idea which one is. I would appreciate some help on this issue. Thanks in advance!!
13 REPLIES 13
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

What is the error you're getting when you try and start the service? That sould prove more useful than the output of the ssh client trying to connect to a non-existant service.

Please post the output of

# /sbin/init.d/sshd stop
# /sbin/init.d/sshd start
Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

I know the debug information doesn't explain too much about what the problem is, but that is all the information I have. I checked /var/adm/messages but it doesn't display any kind of error. The output of the command you mentioned is:

Secure Shell daemon (sshd2) failed to start properly
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

You might try starting the daemon by hand with something like:

# sshd2 -d 99 -v > myfile.out 2>&1

Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

Actually I did, but I got the same results. I attach the debug output so you can take a look at it.
Don Ritchey
Frequent Advisor

Twoo suggestions:

1. Check your root and var file systems and make sure that these file systems are not full, since the shell may be trying to create a FIFO in either /tmp or /var/tmp. (Also check the CDSLs for the tmp directories in case these cross mount points.)

2. Move your current /etc/ssh2/sshd2_config file to a temp location and make a fresh copy of /etc/ssh2/sshd2_config.template to /etc/ssh2/sshd2_config. This will eliminate any errors caused by a bad option in the current config file or a garbage character that could gum up the works.
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

I would also suggest checking the permissions on /tmp & /var/tmp. They should be drwxrwxrwt

Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
Carlos A. Munoz Lopez
Frequent Advisor

Still the same error. I already checked the permissions in tmp directories and they're fine. I have enough free space in both file systems as well. I was thinking in reinstalling ssh, but since it is a required package, will this action cause any implication on the operating system?? If not, what do I have to do to reinstall the package??
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

After looking at the source code for sshd2 it looks like the problem from your sshd2 debug output happens when sshd2 tries to create an interprocess communication channel or "pipe" (see "man pipe(2)") prior to forking a child sshd2 process. (The pipe would then be used to communicate with the child process.) But, the pipe man page doesn't list ENOENT ("No such file or directory") as a possible error.

Ann Majeske, Tru64 UNIX support
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

The only way I can think of to "reinstall" ssh would be to put on the latest patch kit, T64V51BB26AS0005-20050502, see: http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/mainPage.do and then follow it with T64KIT1000096-V51BB26-E-20051110 (an ERP with scp and sftp fixes) this would get you the latest ssh that has been released. I'm not sure that this would fix your problem, though, since the problem appears to be coming from pipe, not ssh. It's more likely that you've got some sort of a resource issue in creating pipes.

Ann