Advancing Life & Work
1757945 Members
2964 Online
108866 Solutions
New Article
HPE-Editor

Building a better cyber security team: Insights from HPE experts

What is HPE doing to find and support cyber security talent? Meet two members of the HPE Global Security team who offer insights into cyber security team building and share a bit about themselves.

Article Header.jpg

Cyber security is an IT priority for everyone, from individuals to organizations to governments. We depend on data, networks, and devices to run our businesses and our lives. Data security depends on professionals working to ensure our information stays safe.

Vince Arnold and Joanne O’Connor are part of the HPE Global Security team.  We asked them about the importance of having a diverse cyber security team and what their team is doing to find new talent. They also shared tips for job seekers, points of inspiration, and advice for getting the most out of life.

Vince Arnold, Global Security Risk and Compliance Transformation Leader

Currently lives in The Colony, TX, United States

Raised in the Mideast and Midwest, United States (multiple cities)

I joined HPE in June of 2015 as a senior manager to advance the build out of a manufacturing security program and team in cyber security. After working in this area for about year, I moved over to manage Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)/Credentialing and the Engineering Solutions teams for about three and a half years.

For about the last two years, I have been the Global Security Risk and Compliance Transformation Leader where I have been helping to drive risk and compliance thought leadership and a move to an integrated approach to risk management.

Joanne O’Connor, Manager of the Talent Academy for Global Security

Currently lives in Galway, Ireland

I started in HP in 2007 via an internship in the IT Command Center in Galway, Ireland. I then served as a software support engineer for a few months before becoming a global program manager. I had several more roles as I increased my training and education in the scrum and agile space, which saw me move through roles as a scrum master and a product owner and UX designer for a team that developed apps for HPE, leveraging Aruba technology.

That is where I spun into cyber security as the training and awareness program manager for HPE. The role focused on educating the entire HPE workforce to become more aware of the role they play in protecting HPE and the part they can play in protecting the company, people, data, and reputation.

I remained in that role for nearly five years and knew it would need to be an extremely interesting and special role that would draw me away from it. The role of Talent Academy manager become available, and I knew it was a perfect fit for me. I had spent the prior year developing and researching a national report on diversity in the security sector in Ireland, and the job aligned perfectly with what I had learned and uncovered from that research.

“Our first Global Security Internship program kicked off with three interns from HBCU’s … we will be up to 11 interns for our 2022 Summer Internship program.”

-Vince Arnold

What are you and your team doing to expand HPE's already diverse talent acquisition program?

Vince Arnold

In the US, we began recruiting at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU’s) in the spring of 2019 following a conversation I had with leadership in October 2018 about ways to increase diversity in cyber security at the time. I mentioned we should reach out to HBCU’s to establish partnerships for an internship program.

We initially targeted Prairie View A&M University, Grambling State University, and Texas Southern University during the spring of 2019 with onsite HPE meet-and-greet events with students. LaQuita Ridley (Prairie View A&M alum) and Kevin Griffin (Grambling State alum) were instrumental in getting the contacts established at the universities. That summer, our first Global Security Internship Program kicked off with three interns from HBCU’s. The program has grown each year and we will be up to 11 interns for our 2022 Summer Internship program.

Learn more: HPE Global Security Early Career Program | HPE

Joanne O’Connor

The ultimate goal is to look at all pockets of talent from traditional to non-traditional. Traditional talent comes from our experienced senior talent and also from universities where students have studied traditional feeder subjects to security such as computer science, IT, and focused cyber security courses. Non-traditional talent can be people and students who transition from complimentary industries and areas such as business, law, privacy, etc.

But the secret pockets of finding diverse talent can be in areas where people have not been able to access those spaces.

What talent pools are you working to tap into?

Vince Arnold

We are not only looking into early career talent areas, we are also looking to areas where candidates may want to change careers and move in to the cyber security field from a different profession.

Candidates who are out of work, looking for a second chance or just an opportunity may also have a potential career in cyber security. The key here is that there is no defined career path. If you have integrity, discipline, and the desire to succeed, the cyber fundamentals can be learned.

Joanne O’Connor

We have programs such as “returnship programs” where we attract a specific group, for instance women who had exited the workforce for a variety of reasons in a bid to create a pathway for them to re-enter the workforce, specifically the cyber security workforce.

We know women drop out of the workforce at higher rates than men and subsequently can find it difficult to re-enter. The difficulty is that the industry from which they exited may have moved on or evolved so fast they feel their skills have expired. These are extremely talented people who hold master’s degrees, PHD’s, who were employed as teachers and educators and/or managed teams and operated complex systems and processes. These people are often an untapped talent pool

“When we see the world differently, we collectively become a stronger force.”

-Joanne O’Connor

Why is diversity – including neurodiversity - so critical for cyber security teams today?

Vince Arnold

Different ways of thinking or tackling a problem are important. In essence, that’s what we do; we mitigate problems. People from different walks of life may bring different approaches to the table to mitigate or solve a problem, which increases the chances of a problem getting resolved quicker or perhaps in a better way.

Joanne O’Connor

This topic is so widely discussed and such a fascinating area – diversity of thought – that it will return about half a million results in Google in less than a second. The talent world is starting to realize that people who are not mirror versions of themselves are an asset and a bonus when it comes to bringing in new ideas and perspectives.

When we see the world differently, we collectively become a stronger force. Neurodivergent employees have many strengths they bring to a team and organisation such as superior analytical skills, hyper focus on small details, and providing novel ways to approach a problem. These skills are a fantastic addition for cyber security teams.

What can candidates do to improve their skills when seeking a career in Information Security?

Vince Arnold

I guess that depends on where you are in your career but like anything in life, to be good at something, you have to be a student of it. Hone your craft. Immerse yourself in it. Study and learn as much as you can. 

Joanne O’Connor

There are so many free resources for candidates to benefit from to enhance their knowledge and their CV before applying for roles in security, such as Cybrary, edX, and IBM Skillsbuild.

There are also many MOOC’s (massive open online courses) that are offered for free by some of the largest and best-known universities and institutes around the globe. You can delve into the more technical space but also build upon your business acumen with courses in business, leadership, and strategy, which will be a huge asset to the skills you can bring to a team.

What's your advice to people starting out in Cyber? 

Vince Arnold

Look for entry-level opportunities. Getting experience any way you can is important. Also, a good foundation starts with knowing basic Information Technology fundamentals like hardware, software, networking, etc.

Joanne O’Connor

To people in their first cyber security role, I would say immerse yourself in every opportunity that becomes available, from training to mentoring to rotation or shadowing opportunities. It is hard at the start to have a clear vision about what exact area you want to focus on, so take a wide view and absorb a little from all spokes until you are ready to refine your career and zoom in on an area of interest.

What motivated you to seek a career in cyber security and what inspires you most about your role in Cyber?

Vince Arnold

Constant change and challenges. I work best when things are moving and not stagnant. In Cyber, there is always something new popping up which keeps things interesting.

Joanne O’Connor

My career in cyber security found me, as opposed to me finding it – which is actually something that I keep in mind often when looking for talent. We are at an all-time high with people looking for new roles, but also people are being headhunted and encouraged out of their current roles.

The most inspiring space in cyber security is the continual evolution and growth of the sector. According to the NIST, there are 52 jobs areas, with that set to double in a few short years. There will be jobs next year that don’t exist today – and that is exciting!

We'd love to hear about your life outside of work:

Vince Arnold

What inspires you?  My parents. They worked so hard so that my brothers and I would not have to live the hard life they had to live growing up. I am thankful that they are still with us today and that we can now help them in their later years.

How do you relax? Read and exercise. I’m a voracious reader and learner. I pretty much read anything but I like to read about ancient history and I’m an avid sci-fi fan.

What's your advice for getting the most out of life? Don’t sweat the small stuff. I am still working on that!

Joanne O’Connor

What inspires you? Learning from people who have walked the path before me and hearing about the highs and lows and how to improve based on any mistakes they made.

How do you relax? I enjoy running – it creates great headspace to process a long day. Also listening to a good podcast while running is my idea of heaven!

What's your advice for getting the most out of life? Prioritize what makes you happy and healthy – create space for what fills your cup.

HPE Editor
0 Kudos
About the Author

HPE-Editor

Editor-in-chief for the HPE Advancing Life & Work blog.