Advancing Life & Work
1753447 Members
5157 Online
108794 Solutions
New Article
DesireeCH

Discovering your passion at HPE Erskine

HPE20160714165 (1).jpg

Prior to joining HPE, I graduated from the Glasgow Caledonian University, with a degree in Business Studies. I have a very broad degree covering many business areas, therefore, I was unsure on what direction should start my career. I have always been keen to get back into the business environment after my 3rd year university placement, and I've gained employment within the financial services industry. 

Although this did help improve my understanding of ‘grown up’ life, there was no real opportunity for development.  I enjoyed working in a fast paced, target driven environment, so when I saw the Sales Graduate programme within HPE, I applied right away.  Having gained a higher degree in Computing Studies, I knew I had a good understanding of IT,  however, after my first day in HPE, I realized there was so much more to learn. 

Rebecca and the Erskine Team!Rebecca and the Erskine Team!Every day in HPE is a learning curve, and it still amazes me how much IT impacts our daily lives, whether it be staying in contact with friends, to helping healthcare organizations research and develop cures to fight illnesses.  Having been in the company now for just less than a year, I can already see how far I have come, I am a much more confident and driven person which is being continually developed through the Graduate scheme.  Being a graduate, amongst experienced and senior HPE account managers, has felt daunting to begin with, but those feelings have soon disappeared. 

Ready for the training!Ready for the training!

The support and training I have received throughout my time here, has been key in my success so far.  HPE has a great support culture it instills in all employees, I have never felt unable to ask for help, and everyone is always available to provide their support.  Throughout my studies, I've always hoped to be part of a Global organization and you cannot get much bigger than HPE! I now have the opportunity to interact with colleagues from all over the world, working together on large customer accounts.

I am part of the Commercial team, which is a new team within Erskine.  I work in conjunction with two field account managers, and together we manage large accounts, driving new business and creating opportunities within them.  I credit the relationship I have built with my team in my development and appreciate the support and investment they have put towards me.  I am now able to own opportunities within these accounts and manage the complete sales cycle from the proposal to delivering the solution to the customer. 

Over the past few months, I have been able to build good relationships with our partners and customers - which is something that is crucial to the role.  Although we are selling IT, we are really selling business solutions. 

It is interesting to learn your customer challenges and goals and how HPE’s solutions can help them meet their objectives and resolve issues they may have.  It is not about just being an IT provider to our customers, it is about creating a partnership with them ensuring we continue to provide the best experience and maintaining the relationship they have with HPE.

Erskine is a great place to work in, we often have events which brings a buzz of excitement to the office.  Recently we've taken part in a “Campaign Day”, promoting our Server offerings to our customers and gaining the chance to win prizes (and the best part - free pizza!)

I also attended the departments “Spring Camp”, event that took place in Glasgow City Centre. The all-day event allowed to take part in fun activities, but also to recognize the success of the Inside sales department and award people on their individual achievements, something HPE continually promotes.

Spring Camp!Spring Camp!

Being from Glasgow, I was very lucky to have found myself in a graduate scheme within a global company only 10 minutes from my home!  Glasgow and the neighboring area is a great place to stay and I would encourage anyone looking to start their career in HPE to come to Erskine, as it is a fantastic place to join.  Glasgow has a friendly, outgoing culture and know my colleagues who have joined from other countries have enjoyed their experience here.  Glasgow welcomed thousands from across the world to celebrate the 2014 Commonwealth games with them, allowing us to share our cities passion and prove that people do in fact make Glasgow.  Glasgow’s popularity continues to grow with their music offerings from small, well known, venues such as the Barrowlands, to the large and modern SSE Hydro arena.  I must admit the weather in Glasgow is not always sunny but we do get the occasional day of good weather (I promise), and Scotland has a great sporting and music scene, so there’s always plenty to do in your free time.

As I am nearly half way through my Graduate programme, I am starting to consider my options on what area of the business I want to develop in the future. But from what I have experienced so far, HPE is a great company to work with, it values its people, supports them to reach their potential.

Rebecca Griffin, EMEA Inside Sales - Enterprise GroupRebecca Griffin, EMEA Inside Sales - Enterprise Group

About the author

Rebecca Griffin is 24 years old, and after graduating from Glasgow Caledonian University, has worked in the financial service industry before joining HPE’s Sales Graduate scheme in November 2015. 

Rebecca is originally from Glasgow, but looks forward to the opportunities HPE provides for travelling, to expand her knowledge and experience different cultures.

Connect with Rebecca on LinkedIn here!

DesireeCH
About the Author

DesireeCH

Employer brand and digital media evangelist. Proactively searching for new trends and best in class practices to find, converse, share, engage and refer potential candidates and bring the best Talent for the company.