5983 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding Virtual Connect FC to existing C7K Domain

SOLVED
Go to solution
CarlosG_1

Adding Virtual Connect FC to existing C7K Domain

I am adding the first 4GB FC virtual connect modules to an existing C7000 enclosure. When setting up the WWN settings it does not allow the selection of тАЬUse Virtual Connect Assigned WWN AddressesтАЭ both options are grayed and тАЬUse the static, factory-default WWN AddressesтАЭ is selected. How do I select тАЬUse Virtual Connect Assigned WWN AddressesтАЭ when adding the first FC modules to an existing enclosure?
8 REPLIES 8
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Unassign server profiles if You can and try again.
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
CarlosG_1

I do not have any HBAs installed in the enclosure and there are no FC SAN connections defined. To un-assign all the server profiles is to take the entire enclosure off-line. Is it necessary to power down every server in an enclosure to add a new type of Virtual connect module using Virtual Connect Assigned Addresses?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Check the FW levels of the FC modules, do they match with ethernet module

ethernet 1.24 fc 1.11

JKytsi
Honored Contributor

And if your servers are up with FC cards, you can't change the WWN addresses to the FC cards.

CarlosG_1

The Enet modules are 1.22 and the FC modules are 1.11. It looks like I'll schedule a change to upgrade the firmware and then power them all down, if needed. There are no HBAs in the enclosure. The changes will take place one at a time, so I will be able to let you know what pulled the bunny from the hat. Thanks.
luked

I had the same issue, logged a call with hp and eventually they told me that if the san module was installed after the virtual connect wizard was run for the first time then it is likely that the components for virtual WWN's was not installed. The only way to resolve this was to delete the domain in the VC manager and run the wizard again. It resolved the issue for me although I still can't believe that you can't add new components later.
Joel Eck

That is correct. You must delete the existing domain to make that change. You must also delete and recreate the domain to add additional VC modules.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

This is in response to Joel's post!

Is this true, that it is necessary to delete the VC domain to add additional VC Modules??

I have 3 enclosures and I only use VC modules. Currently all of my enclosures have 2 VC ENet modules in IC1 and IC2. We are about to increase the number of VC ENet modules in each enclosure by adding two more, in IC3 and IC4. (I have VC FC modules in 5, 6, 7 & 8).

The requirement to delete and recreate the domain would seem to me to be excessive, if in fact this is a genuine requirement.

As I see it, after installing the new VC ENet modules in 3 and 4, they should be automatically detected, in the same way that new blades are, and show up in the "Rack Overview", although a refresh may be necessary. Then, they should be listed under the Enclosure Bay IP Addressing Screen. IP addresses can be assigned there (can't they?)

I would have thought that the VC manager would be able to see them, again, it may be necessary to log out and log in again, to re-import the information.

Somebody please tell me that the domain delete/recreate is not an actual requirement!

Dave