1753808 Members
7654 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL260c G5 problem

bwu_1
Occasional Contributor

BL260c G5 problem

Our company baught a c3000 tower model enclosure with three BL260c G5 server blades. First round I have installed Windows Server 2003(32-bit) on server blades. All installation were done through HP SmartStart CD (version 8.15). Howerver, recently I try to install Windows Server 2008(32-bit) through SmartStart, it always fail in the step to request inserting OS media due to system seemed cannot recognize OS media file (Media type I choose DVD, file type I choose flat file), always show "Invalid Entry" error. Then after I quit from SmartStart, the BL260c G5 cannot boot from SmartStart again, there is no any system diagonistic information or HP ProLiant logo on the console display. The "Health" LED on the front pannel always flasing with RED. I check the Service & Maintenance Guide, this means a Critical Condition.

Can someone guide me how should I fix this problem ?

Barry
2 REPLIES 2
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

I've ran into this before with Smartstart and Windows 2008. I think there's an array controller driver issue that causes it.

Usually what I do is just boot from the Windows 2008 DVD and build the OS first. Then insert the SmartStart CD later or Copy and install the lastest ProLiant Support Pack.
bwu_1
Occasional Contributor

After I check "ProLiant Troubleshooting Guide" page 33 "c-class server blade POST problem flowchart", the key message for me is "Isolate and minimize memory configuration". our server blade shipped with 1GB memory and additional 1GB (2x512MB DIMM) memory was inserted by myself. I doubt it is probably the connectivity for two additional 512MB DIMM card is not solid, so I remove them and reinsert again. After reinsert server blade and power on, the problem is fixed. Just share my troubleshooting experience here.

As to the other issue regarding SmartStart 8.15 cannot work with Windows Server 2008, I very appreciate James Kenedy's feedback. I check from ITRC history threads, someone raised the same issue, but some experts answered no issue in their testing lab; one also adviced the same action as James(see my attachement). I try no matter 32-bit or x64 SmartSetup and Win2k8, the "Invalid entry" always existed at the step to insert OS media into the enclosure DVD. So I decide to follow James's advice.