BladeSystem - General
1752786 Members
5959 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

GbE2c and connecting to network

Doug Merrill

GbE2c and connecting to network

I am installing my first HP BladeSystem (c3000) and I'm having difficuly connecting the server blades to the network. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Here is what we have:

-- HP BladeSystem c3000 (boot image and firmware 5.1.3)
-- HP KVM Module
-- HP GbE2c (Bay 1)
-- Qty-3 HP BL460c (Bays 1, 2 and 5)

I have a CAT5e patch cord connected to OA1 and our network switch and can log into the OA no problem. I have a CAT5e patch cord connected from the HP GbE2c (on port 19) and connected to our network switch and can access the management interface via the web and telnet. In the OA, I see the port mapping for the 3 blade servers (1&9, 2&10, 5&13). I have not yet configured anything on the HP GbE2c - all HP defaults.

I've installed Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 on each of the 3 BL460c servers using the HP Smart Start CD. I can access each of the servers through the remote console. Each of the servers network adapters (NIC 1 & 2) are not obtaining IP addresses.

What do I need to configure on the HP GbE2c for the servers to connect to the network. All of the servers are going to be on the same network.

I've looked through all HP GbE2c manuals and search the web, but am a bit confused as to what I need to do.

Thanks in advanced.
Doug
6 REPLIES 6
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: GbE2c and connecting to network

Doug:

This network that you are connecting to... do you have a DHCP server on it?

If not, you will then need to staticly set each server's IP address.

If so, then there might be a bigger isue at play. Check your DHCP server to make sure there are available IP's in the scope for that network.

By default, the GbE2 should pass ALL traffic as all ports are in in VLAN1.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Doug Merrill

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your quick reply.

We do have a DHCP server giving out IP's from 192.168.16.31 - 254. Currently, only 14 are being used with plenty available. The iLO for each of the servers are obtaining IP addresses no problem.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I have additional patch cords connected from the GbE2c to our switch. They are connected to ports 21 & 22 on the GbE2c, but I've tried with nothing plugged into the GbEc2 except port 19.

Doug
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"We do have a DHCP server giving out IP's from 192.168.16.31 - 254. Currently, only 14 are being used with plenty available. The iLO for each of the servers are obtaining IP addresses no problem."

The iLo's communicate through the OA interface so they are picking up DCHP addresses properly.

What type of switch are you connecting to?

Is the switch port you are connecting the GbE2 to configured differently?

Can you try assigning an IP address to one of the blades manually and see if it can talk to other devices on the network?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Doug Merrill

We have a Dell unmanaged 24-port 10/100 switch.

Right now I have CAT5e patch cords connecting from the GbE2c (ports 23 & 24) to the Dell switch and get no lights. I also have a patch cord connected on the GbE2c (port 20 for management) to the Dell switch and I get a light.

I have assigned static IP addresses to each of the server blades and am unable to access the outside network and vice versa.

Is there something that I am missing on the switch?

Doug
Doug
Doug Merrill

I believe that I have found and problem.

I plugged the GbE2c into a different switch and it worked instantly. The ports on the Dell switch work with other computers connected, so I guess the HP blade server is not compatible.

I really appriciate your help Steven.

Are there any recommendations that you would make regarding the switch? Should I leave it as is given our network or should I configure anything to help performance, etc.?

Once again thank you.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Oh Good, glad you got something to work.

How about replace the Dell witch wit ha Procurve switch? ;o)

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE