108792 Solutions
New Discussion

SNMP Monitoring TRILL Network on 5900?

SOLVED
Go to solution
ryny24
Occasional Collector

SNMP Monitoring TRILL Network on 5900?

I've recently purchased a few of these 5900 switches and they are great! The TRILL function allows us to build redundant networks without needing a horrible ring topology.   The only problem I can't figure out, is how to monitor the status of a TRILL neighbor in SNMP.

I've searched and searched the mibs, but I cannot find an OID that changes when a neighbor goes up/down. Do I need to enable SNMP for TRILL in the config? Or am I just not seeing it.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
sdide
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: SNMP Monitoring TRILL Network on 5900?

Hi,

I can recommend that you read the: "HPE FlexFabric 5940 & 5930 Switch Series TRILL Configuration Guide"

In the section "Configuring SNMP for TRILL" it says that Trill uses the IS-IS MIB, and that you have to specify a context name to make it work as intended.

EDIT : I think they refer to the "rfc4444-isis.mib" in the /HPE(hh3c)/MIBs/ folder of the latest MIB.zip (v11)

Regards

Søren Dideriksen, Network Administrator
Region Midtjylland
ryny24
Occasional Collector

Thank you Søren! I missed this step somehow. I will try it tomorrow.

-Ryan

ryny24
Occasional Collector

FYI - After much testing, it appears this configuration is only for sending of traps. I've tried it every way, the HP does not answer to OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.138 (RFC 4444 isisMIB) after setting the context name.

The manual even states "After you enable SNMP notification sending for TRILL", I guess polling the mib is not available. Has anyone else run into this?

-Ryan