5692 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: D-Class Memory Upgrade Problem

Marvin Diaz_1
Advisor

D-Class Memory Upgrade Problem

Hi Guys,

Please help me....I am trying to upgrade memory on a D-Class (D380) however, upon istallaing additional memory, A fault on the boot-up exist.

Eventhough I remove the existing memory of the server and install the new one...still fault persist. I have tried at least 3 memory module but no one works.

I think i need to set some configuration edit before i install additional memory.

Please advise........

Thanks,
9 REPLIES 9
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

first question is what are the part numbers/product numbers of the memory you are using.
Second question, does it all work when you restore the origional memory configuration.

Have you referred to the manual for upgrading memory in a D class server?
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Morcos
Super Advisor

Hi Marvin,
I upgrade memory for D class many times without doing any configuration. Are you sure from the part number of your installed RAM. Also did u put them in the order 0a 0b 1a 1b ...

Ziad
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Marvin,
Take a look inside the left side door, you had to take it off to get access into the server. There is a diagram in there showing the memory load order.

16 MB MEMORY SIMM A2579-69001
32 MB MEMORY SIMM A1236-69001
64 MB MEMORY SIMM A2580-69001
128 MB MEMORY SIMM A3262-69014
256 MB MEMORY SIMM A4984-69001

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Marvin Diaz_1
Advisor

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply...

However, i was thinking if is thier something to do with the FASTBOOT config.

Please advise.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Marvin,
The fastboot option is only there to bypass some in-depth testing of the memory and should only be used when you are doing repeated boots. Under normal circumstances, fastboot should be off so that if your server reboots, it will do a thorough test of the memory prior to loading the OS.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

marvin,

If fast boot is set to on, the system simply just doesnt test it upon booting. This should not stop it from booting.
What is the exact errors you are receiving?

Also what size memory dimms are you installing and part number from them if possible.
They do have to be matched pairs and installed in the banks in order 0a/0b 1a/1b etc. Check inside the side door for slot order, you will see that they are spaced out.
Also make sure the memory is firmly seated in the slots with the notch on the dimm to the inside of the server

If you are trying to add the 512mb kit(2x256mb) then you may need to upgrade the firmware version, what is your version of pdc firmware?

Andy
Marvin Diaz_1
Advisor

Hi Andrew,

The firmware of the d-class is 3.80
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi marvin,

the latest version of pdc firmware is 42.11 for your server.

downloadable from here

http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/patchDetail.do?BC=patch.breadcrumb.main|patch.breadcrumb.search|&patchid=PF_CULU4211&context=firmware:cpu

download and install this.

I dont recognise your version though? should it be 38.xx

The latest version (above) does have support for the 512mb kits though as of 38.40

also what are the exact errors you get on the terminal and lcd display?

andy

Morcos
Super Advisor

Hi Marvin,
To find your current firmware:
echo " selclass qualifier cpu info;wait;infolog " |cstm
and look at PDC firmware revision.

To find the latest firmware, go to itrc.hp.com, patch/firmware database -->firmware. In select firmware type: cpu and search by keyword:d380.

Be carefull when doing the firmware upgrade, and follow the steps carefully (create a bootable tape ....) cause any wrong step can harm the machine.

Ziad