HPE OneView
1751976 Members
4695 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OneView Support for Multiple NIC for administration from different networks & alarm data int

vijay_78
Occasional Advisor

OneView Support for Multiple NIC for administration from different networks & alarm data integration

Hi,

Does OneView (Appliance)  provide support to be configured with  multiple interfaces  to support following d

for example

eth0  - for monitoring the infrastructure(Servers, Blade), which oneview is part of.

eth1 -   for  admins/external admins to access the oneview GUI, configured part of separate VLAN

eth2 -  for  sending alarms/data  to external monitoring applications. allows external applications to query oneview details through  REST API etc.

Any help to point to the right documentation will be appreciated.

Regards,

Vijay

9 REPLIES 9
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: OneView Support for Multiple NIC for administration from different networks & alarm data int

Unfortuantely, no, HP OneView does not support multiple vNICs in the appliance.  Are there significant challanges with a single vNIC that you cannot overcome?  In your example, would there be a need for multiple vNICs, each with their own gateway?  Multi-homing, especially with multiple gateways, is difficult to support for any product and is typically not advised across all vendors.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

vijay_78
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris/All,

Thanks.

We have been able to add another interface(and IP) to the appliance, witin the same subnet.  Please see attached image.

1.  we will need to check same can be done(adding an anotehr interface)  with a separate IP network range

2.  I am not sure, if we can configure oneview to use the second interface for API calls, sending alarm data to external application.

Any inputs on above points will be appreciated.

Regards,

Vijay

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

While yes you can "technically" add more vNICs to the appliance, HP will not support this configuration, nor is it supported in the product.  Please do remove the additional vNIC you added to the appliance to stay within a supported VM configuration.  If you do not, and experience issues that require you to contact HP Support, they will be unable to resolve you issue(s) until you revert the appliance to a supported configuration.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

vijay_78
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,

Thanks. We had looked at the Oneview1.2 User guide. I see there is reference to different network for management and Data.  Is it not supported then?

7.6 Planning the appliance configuration

7.6.1 Appliance VM and host requirements

The appliance virtual machine (VM) must run on a VM host with ProLiant G7–class CPUs or later.

The appliance VM requires the following:

Two 2 GHz or greater virtual CPUs.

• 10 GB of memory dedicated to the appliance.

• 170 GB of thick-provisioned disk space.

• A connection to the management LAN. HP recommends that you have separate networks for

management and data.

In addition, the clock on the VM

7.6.3 Separate networks for data and management

HP recommends having separate networks for management and data.

Regards,

Vijay

Neetesh
Occasional Visitor

Hi Chris,

We want to address two things Using Multiple vNICs here:

1. We need a management interface on OneView through which we could manage our appliance locally.

2. We also need a second interface on OneView which can possibly be in some other network (different VLAN ) to receive data or can be used to connect it to the external world (Internet).

If you could help us out in addressing the above scenario, it will be highly appreciated.

BR,

Neetesh

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

7.6.3 Separate networks for data and management

HP recommends having separate networks for management and data.

The statement made in our documentation is for customers to have a seperate network for production versus management traffic.  The reason is simply for controlling excessive broadcast traffic within the subnet/VLAN, and to remove any dependancies of management traffic from the production network.  Typically, the management subnet/VLAN can be routable within a customer network, but not always.

That being said, HP's official support stance with multiple vNICs within an appliance: HP does not support adding more than 1 vNIC to an appliance and there are no other workarounds to adding multiple vNICs to an appliance. 

The only workaround is to make your management VLAN a routable subnet in your infrastructure.

I have included a diagram of what the management network architecture would look like.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

vijay_78
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Regards,

Vijay

Bobinhed
Occasional Advisor

Chris,

I have a situation where I have a requirement for an additional NIC on the HPE OneView Appliance due to physically separate networks, one for managing the appliance and one where the ILOs that it will manage reside. In this case we are willing to accept an unsupported configuration as we will not be able to monitor the hardware otherwise. 

I'm running version 3.10.04-0299553. Is it possible to add another NIC using a shell?

Thanks,

Keith

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: OneView Support for Multiple NIC for administration from different networks

Sorry, but it is not possible to add an additional NIC to the appliance even in an unsupported method. You will. Need another appliance and Global Dashboard to unify the inventory and alert data. Or allow via your firewall for the appliance.

Sent from Outlook

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo