HPE SimpliVity
1748232 Members
3311 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Remote access for ESXI local user account "root" has been locked for 900 seconds

JulioADMTTI
Occasional Contributor

Remote access for ESXI local user account "root" has been locked for 900 seconds

Hi friends,

Good Morning,

Today my simplivity environment started to show the error below.

Nothing has changed in the environment, the try source is an omnistack from another host.
Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
DeclanOR
Respected Contributor

Re: Remote access for ESXI local user account "root" has been locked for 900 seconds

Hi @JulioADMTTI 

This usually happens if there is a synchronisation issue between the passwords stored on the OVC and the root passwrd of the ESXi hosts themselves.

I would recommend updating the credstore on each ovc with the following commnd, and see if this resolves the issue

NOTE: If you are running versions previous to 3.7.3, then a support case will need to be created.

On 3.7.3 - 3.7.6

On each OVC run the following:

sudo dsv-identitystore-init 'administrator@vsphere.local' <mngmnt ip address of ESXi host for this OVC> root

You will be prompted for admin@vsphere.local password, and for root password

Click y for yes

On version 3.7.7 onwards, the command has changed slightly:

sudo dsv-digitalvault-init  'administrator@vsphere.local' <mngmnt ip address of ESXi host for this OVC> root

This should in theory resolve your issue.

NOTE: You will need to wait for the account to unlock, or unlock yourself beforehand.

Accept or Kudo

RicT1
Valued Contributor

Re: Remote access for ESXI local user account "root" has been locked for 900 seconds

Hi,

I met the same isue with no change in the environnement

For one cluster, i have ILO access  and i use KVM console acess shell and to reset failure: pam_tally2 --user root --reset

https://community.hpe.com/t5/HPE-SimpliVity/Change-ESXi-host-root-password-from-OVC/m-p/7021460#M114

For a another cluster, i didn't access the ILO so i use the vCenter web client:  select Host=>Configure=> Advanced System Settings => filter Account

I modify variable Security.AccountUnlockTime from 900 seconds to 60 seconds.

After a one minute, i could connect to the host through ssh and https.

Regards

Ric

JulioADMTTI
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.