1748179 Members
4081 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Migrate Linux (CentOS) based HPE IMC to Microsoft Windows

Colorado-Bob
Occasional Contributor

Migrate Linux (CentOS) based HPE IMC to Microsoft Windows

Our Linux server and CentOS are toast.  The environment is deteriorating and neither the server nor CentOS wants to work well and we have fewer and fewer Linux knowledgeable technicions to support IMC in a Linux environment. 

We need to run IMC on a Windows server.  However, we have a large network and need to migrate the Linux based IMC configuration & database to the Windows based IMC. 

Has anyone done this?  Is there a process?  I can't find anything online and when I call HP support, they don't even know what IMC (Intelligent Management Center for networking).  They ask if we are sure this is an HP product.  They also ask what kind of hardware it is...

All we want to do, since we have a massive number of devices, is take the current configuration off the Linux server based IMC and put on a Windows based IMC and keep running....

4 REPLIES 4
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

I guess technically it's not an HP product anymore, it's an *HPE* product. 

But anyway, in theory it _might_ be possible to do something involving backup & restore. I probably wouldn't bother though, unless I had a lot of hard to reproduce configuration. What actual configuration do you need to migrate? Do you just need to make sure that the devices monitored by the old system are monitored by the new system? Or do you have a lot of custom manual groupings, templates, per-device users & community strings, etc?

Colorado-Bob
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  In essence, Yes...  We have a lot of nodes, custom groupings/topologies, etc...  I'd hate to start completely from scratch.  I found a Microsoft tool to convert the MySql to Microsoft SQL but that didn't have a lot of positive comments.  I feel there should be a means to export data, not just "back it up" - given constructs etc.  The HPE Bangalorean support people have no clue what IMC is let alone how to support it and I sit and look at the files & tables saying hmmmmmm.

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

@Colorado-Bob wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  In essence, Yes...  We have a lot of nodes, custom groupings/topologies, etc...  I'd hate to start completely from scratch. 

The nodes are easy. You can just rediscover them, or you can export a list, and then import that. Groupings are more complicated. Ideally you have automatic grouping based upon some parameters, but I know that life's not always like that. 

Random aside, that's where HP HPE MicroFocus NNMi is good, because it forces you to define rules for groupings, discoveries, etc. 

@Colorado-Bob wrote:

I feel there should be a means to export data, not just "back it up" - given constructs etc.  The HPE Bangalorean support people have no clue what IMC is let alone how to support it and I sit and look at the files & tables saying hmmmmmm.

Some tools combine export/backup/restore processes, so they do let you migrate between platforms using the backup/restore procedures. I just can't quite remember if you can do that with IMC or not. I want to say I've seen something that indicates you can do it, but I can't find a definitive reference right now. 

NeilR
Esteemed Contributor

@Colorado-Bob wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  In essence, Yes...  We have a lot of nodes, custom groupings/topologies, etc...  I'd hate to start completely from scratch.  I found a Microsoft tool to convert the MySql to Microsoft SQL but that didn't have a lot of positive comments.  I feel there should be a means to export data, not just "back it up" - given constructs etc.  The HPE Bangalorean support people have no clue what IMC is let alone how to support it and I sit and look at the files & tables saying hmmmmmm.

Any reason why you would not try mysql on windows? Build a same patch level on Windows and try Backup/Restore?  Seems like a fairly easy try.

I agree once its "tailored" to your liking, a lot of detailed work has gone into it.