4440 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Losing access to network

AmanaLiving
Advisor

I have resolved the issue on my end.

I was directed by HP support to perform a wireshark capture of the AP, when looking at the wireshark trace, I would notice that the first 3 or so clients would make a DHCP Request, and they would receive back a DHCP Offer.

Subsequent clients would connect to the AP and send out the DHCP Request but not get back an offer from out DHCP servers. After some time, the original client would stop transmitting and another client would then connect get an IP address and the previous client was blocked.

It turns out there was port security configured on our Procurve 5412zl. The default configuration that was on this switch, it was set to Static, with an address limit of 3, and an action of block and send trap.

So it would only allow 3 MAC addresses then it would cut off access on that port.

I had to change port security from static to Continuous to allow all the clients to connect. Now all clients have an IP address and are working normally.

Hope this helps someone think about this issue from a different angle.

cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

Beamforming ability can't resolve this issue this issue continuing 5.7.0 software
cenk

Craig-Lyndes
Advisor

Finally got all the support agreements in place (horrible experience!) and had a high profile training over the weekend fail because the access point stopped forwarding packets between the wireless and the ethernet.

Opened Case # 4639380148

Approaching 24 hours with no response.

Case description...

Have had a problem since we purchased this system with the access points not forwarding packets from the wireless network to the ethernet. Have a MSM760 controller and 32 msm410 access points and 3 msm430 access points covering a 50 classroom school with very high density (1:1 - potentially 60 devices per room) wireless. The symptoms are that people connect to an access point, they see Excellent Signal Strength, they see the correct SSID - on the controller side I see the access point, I see a number of devices connected, no errors in the logs - but the users can not communicate with anything on the ethernet. I can restart the access point from the controller, which solves the problem. I can power cycle the access point, which solves the problem. When this first appeared I stopped it by setting the msm410 access points to G only. This was successful until last fall when I added some msm430's to rooms that regularly had a high density of clients, the msm430's can not be set to G only. I needed the bandwidth supplied by N, so now all the msm410's are set to G and N. Since software 5.5.3 the problem has gotten much better, but it still occurs. One factor in triggering it seems to be the presence of a Mac wireless device. Another is high utilization, lots of clients. When both of these are present I am still getting access points that turn into data black holes.

I was told that a high profile training that took place here this Saturday was a failure because no one could connect to the network wirelessly. I took my Win XP notebook to the location and connected to the access point, but could not connect to any web sites. I power cycled the access point and everything worked fine. The woman whose desk is right under the access point said she had not had any problem today, but she is using a Mac. The room across the hall from the location that could not use wireless is served by a different access point and people were able to use it throughout the weekend with no problem.

sjordet
Advisor

Craig-Lyndes seems to have the excact same issue as I do. And rsaeks have made the same observations as I did - with g-only there is really no problem. But we have 130 AP's, where almost 100 of them are MSM410, 7 MSM422, 3 MSM322 and 20 MSM430...

We could really need the extra bandwidth provided by n. Rebooting the AP always helps. Running 5.5.4.0-01-10665 on an MSM750.

gglater
Regular Advisor

There are a lot of messages here about a lot of different products over quite a bit of time.

I would like to help.  I work for HP Networking.

If you are having a problem with "losing access to network" using HP Networking MSM wireless products, I would like you to private message me on this forum. 

When you private message me, please provide full details of the problem that you're having, including the products, version of software, relevant log files, and, importantly, the support case number that you were provided when you reported the issue to HP Networking support.

I will get back to you.

Thank you.

--glen

Craig-Lyndes
Advisor

Case # 4639380148

3 weeks in.

After 3 access point failures I have requested escalation.  Front line tech is very professional, but it is like starting over from scratch every time when the failures are a week apart.  There is no sign of a solution.

Craig Lyndes

St Albans City School

gglater
Regular Advisor

Craig:

Thank you for sending me the private message.  I have replied to you there.

--glen

ISoliman
Super Advisor

After checking all the comments and checking my customers that stopped having this issue i might have found a workaround, from most of the comments it is mentioned that using b/g only solves the issue, with my customers i'm still using N/b/g and it is working fine with firmware 5.5.3.x  so the reason might be because i have enabled "band steering" under the VSC, this way all the apple devices will connect to the 1st Radio which is N/a and the other clients will connect normally to the 2nd radio without any disconnection, this is the reason i'm not facing this issue with my customers anymore, after enabling band steering feature (while troubleshooting long time ago) it seems everything works fine, but didn't notice that this option helps till i read all the comments in this post and found the only reason for this to work with me is this feature, in all the sites the users use Iphones and IPADs along with the normal laptops and working fine no reported issue for long time.

Can anybody enable "band steering" and monitor the status please and let us know ? not sure if MAC laptops support 5 GHZ also but since the IPhones and the IPADs support that it should work.

sjordet
Advisor

Isoliman: At least some of us with this problem are using mainly MSM410's, which only has one radio :(

Otherwise interesting observation :)

ISoliman
Super Advisor

with the 410 yeah it is an issue and this won't work :( try to disable the N options like the short guard use long guard) and channel bonding and see if it helps, this is just for testing i didn't try that.