MSA Storage
1754325 Members
3721 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Can I direct attach 4 NICs from host to dual controller MSA 2040?

jesseroscoe
Visitor

Can I direct attach 4 NICs from host to dual controller MSA 2040?

I've looked at the supported configuration diagrams for directly attaching hosts to the MSA 2040, but they always show one cable from a host to controller A and one cable to controller B.  Is it supported to have two connections from a single host to each controller (ie. A1, A2, B1, B2)?  If so, how many different subnets should be used for the configuration?

5 REPLIES 5
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Re: Can I direct attach 4 NICs from host to dual controller MSA 2040?

Hello @jesseroscoe,

Can you please post the screenshot of the diagram or the document link you are referring?

Regards,

Srinivas Bhat

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

jesseroscoe
Visitor

Sure, it's from the MSA 2040 User Guide, the section titled "Connecting direct attach configurations" starting on page 32:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=c03792322

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @jesseroscoe,

Yes. You can connect 2 paths to each controller, total 4 paths from the host to MSA if you have requirement and port availability. The diagram is representative purpose in regular scenarios.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

jesseroscoe
Visitor

Thanks. @sbhat09  Can you tell me what the recommended IP address scheme is for this scenario? I currently have A1 and B1 on one network, and A2 and B2 on a second subnet. The goal is to achieve a higher throughput and not just have redundancy.

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @jesseroscoe,

When I worked on similar connection on MSA, I used the same subnet for all 4 paths. That was good to deliver additional throughput and redundancy. Same subnet for A1, A2, B1, and B2 should work fine for you as well.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo