Netservers
1758847 Members
2926 Online
108876 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver serial number utility:serial number not available or incorrect SOLUTION

Chris Cook_2

Re: Netserver serial number utility:serial number not available or incorrect SOLUTION

First let me tell you (Jake and Terri) thank you very much for your replies. Unfortunately neither the BIOS or MMC flash helped the problem. It does not show a DIMM failure, just:

The system serial number is not available.
Restoring the system serial number...
This process could take as long as 20 seconds.
8881-51 : NetServer Management Controller Selftest Failure

My question now is, should this be something to worry about (I can hit F1 and continue into windows) or should I consider replacing the front control panel or system board?

Thank you,
Chris Cook
cookrx7@no.spam.yahoo.com
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Chris,

I am guessing the actual POST error number is 0080 - is this correct? If so this errors indicates the mangement controller board may be failing. If it actually fails it will hang on POST and not allow you to continue - in this case the management board must be replaced to get the server working again.
Sounds good for now - I would just run it!
Chris Cook_2

I'm sorry, that was a typo, the error is:

0081-51, not 8881-51

Is the management controller board actually locatied on the system board on the LC 2000 or somewhere else?
sw13
Advisor

Is there a serial number changer for an HP XW8000 PC?

I use Altiris Deployment Server and my primary lookup is the serial number. I have 4 PC's all reporting back the same serial number. At each refresh in Altiris a different PC is Activated. So the serial numbers must be corrupted and I would like to change them.

Thanks.
Steve