Operating System - HP-UX
1755571 Members
3673 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ignite-UX tape recovery, without tape device, burn Ignite-UX CD works?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary L
Super Advisor

Ignite-UX tape recovery, without tape device, burn Ignite-UX CD works?

Hi

There is a important server of mine went down and could not restartup, boot it up. We tried lots of way all failure. So, We decide use Ignite-UX tape recovery its vg00 let the system up first.

If we don't have tape devie for HP-UX servers or tape device went bad, could we use CD instead of tape. I mean, could we copy the file of Ignite-UX tape burn it to CD and boot from that Ignite-UX CD instead of boot from Ignite-UX tape? If so, which file need to burn in CD. In our Ignite-UX tape there is a file /srs083/2007-07-20,1617 (430MB, made it a year ago), just now I have tried to burn file "2007-07-20,1617" to CD and boot from CD, it doen't work. And I burned a folder "/srs083/2007-07-20,1617" to CD, boot doen't work too. The error message is
Booting...
IPL error: Bad LIF magic.
... FAILED.

How to recovery a Ignite-UX data without tape device and booting from tape?

Thanks a lot.

Any answers will be very very appreciate!

-G
21 REPLIES 21
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor
Solution

If your ignite image is on an ignite server then just lanboot the "bad" server from the ignite server. The method differs depending on the model. Just review the boot section of the ignite admin guide.

You can create a bootable helper image using #/opt/ignite/data/scripts/examples/make_media_install ( again this is in on an Ignite server, so if you have an Ignite server then use the first option ).

Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Chapter 12 of the Ignite System Administration Guide explains how to create your own installation media:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5992-3336/ch12.html

Pete

Pete
Gary L
Super Advisor

Hi Tim

Thanks for your fast and good reply.

A: Ignite-UX server
B: Ignite-UX client, bad server now.

I once did a Ingite-UX OS image backup for B from A a year ago (too old). The data of client B located in server
A: /var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives/B/-07-20,1617.

Normaly after did #export NFS #exportfs ├в av on server A side, we should do #make_net_recovery ├в Av ├в s A on client side and reboot server B for take the backup take effect, right? But, I did do the make_net_recovery and did reboot that server, sigh. So, currently I could not find A from B in main menu, details are follows:

>sea lan install
no Devices Found.

We could not recovery B via Net_recovery. Just cold _tape_recovry, but no tape device any more. Just has a file /B/-07-20,1617. under the A: /var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives,

For this case , how to deal with it?

thanks a lot

-G

Gary L
Super Advisor

Sorry above error codes should be:

On server A:
# vi /etc/exports
add below entry
/var/opt/ignite/clients -anon=2
/var/opt/ignite/recovery/archives/B -anon=2,access=B
# export NFS
# exportfs -av

On server B:
# make_net_recovery -Av -s A
# reboot

Is that right?
Gary L
Super Advisor

Hi Pete

Thanks for your fast reply and hyperlink, I will check the Admin guide soon.

Thanks a again.

-G
Jov
Honored Contributor

Hi Gary,

It all depends on the version and patch revision of the target HP-UX IPF server.

Only a couple of the latest HP-UX 11.23 on IPF you can recover fully from an Ignite-UX tape, as before that you still need to boot from the original installation CD.

There has been a number of threads regarding creating an CD/DVD Ignite image, but from what I've read, its not from the same command as make_tape_recovery, even thought the image on the tape might be the same.

Given its a critical server, time is of the essence, thus I suggest you find a DDS tape drive (or purchase one) from another system and plug it into the target machine for recovery.

Jov
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

So if I understand correctly you do have and image of serverB on your Ignite ServerA.
I am assuming your servers are PA_RISC

1) On serverA configure /etc/opt/ignite/instl_boottab (or /etc/bootptab ) serverA with MAC and IP to use for serverB. Also assume bootp or instl_bootd is running under inetd. Also add entry in /etc/exports for serverB.

2) on ServerB. boot lan.IP.OF.IGNITE.SERVER install

3) Once booted to Ignite screen simply review the settings and initiate a recovery.

If ignite server is not on the same subnet then you will need to create a boot helper DVD/CD

Gary L
Super Advisor

Thanks Jov for your reply and good suggesitons:

server A is HP rp3440 box, B is a rp4440 box. both of them installed HP-UX 11i v1.

Yes server B is a critical production server, yesterday I have tried with HP support, we could not let the system up even from Core OS CD-1. So, Ignite-UX tape recovery is the last way. But the tape devie gone. And I remember I just restore B's Ignite data to A. Now I wanna burn a CD, try to boot from CD recovery vg00 ...

Whether I could just copy that file to tape or CD as the Ignite-UX boot tape/CD, boot B from DDS tape drive? I mean, just burn 430MB's "2007-07-20,1617" it doen't work.

-G
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

One note we fogot to mention.

NO you cannot just burn the recovery image to DVD and boot it.

The DVD needs boot files created then the image for recovery.