108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

network problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
dgizaw
Frequent Advisor

network problem

I have a problem resolving a network problem whenever I set the network card to 100 full duplex and auto negotiation to on then it automatically changes to half duplex. When I reset it back to manuall then it will be 100 full duplex. But the speed is like 200kb/s. When I do traceroute I get Warning: Multiple interfaces found ... and then it comes back with ***** until I interrupt it. When I disable the second interface the speed will be ok like 6.2 MB/s. How I can make work both interfaces with 100 FDX ?

Thank you
Do not undermine a chalnge
8 REPLIES 8
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

Re: network problem

Check at the switch ports . The ports where your server are plugged in might not be 100 FD . It could be only half duplex . Thats why when u turn auto negotiation on , it drops to half duplex . Turn auto negotiation off as well .
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

There is a fundamental problem with Auto-negotiation. You need to edit the ehternet card configuration files in /etc/rc.config.d and set the value to 100FD AND then set the corresponding port on your switch to 100FD as well.

Hard setting the values on both ends will solve your problems.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor
Solution

Many times auto-negiotiate fails to work correctly. I always set my servers to the desired setting and the switch ports they are connected to.

You can not set the card to a speed/duplex (ie 100FD) and set autoneg on as well. It's either one or the other. Manually setting the speed/duplex turns off autoneg. Setting autoneg on overlays any manual speed/duplex setting you previously specified.

Again, I suggest you manually set the speed/duplex at the switch and the server for any server. I've simply seen autoneg fail too often.

I don't understand what you are saying about the multiple interfaces. Do you have more than one network card on the server? What do "ioscan -fnC lan" and "lanscan" report?

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
dgizaw
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I have two network cards one is the primary and the other one is going to a tape backup server. Both are on separate subnet.
The ioscan -fnC lan gives me :

lan 0 ... btlan .. HP PCI 10/100Base-TX Core
/dev/diag/lan0 ...... /dev/lan0

lan 1 .. btlan ... HP A5230A/B5509BA PCI 10/100base....
/dev/diag/lan1 ... /dev/lan1

lan 2 .. btlan ... HP A5230A/B5509BA PCI 10/100Base ...,
/dev/diag/lan2 ... /dev/lan2

Before I upgraded it to HP-UX 11i it was wroking fine. Do I need any patch ?

The switch is tuned off the auto negotiation.
But the problem is still there.

Thank you very much

Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Does ifconfig (and / or netstat -ni) show the IP addresses you expect?

Are the interfaces listed as being on different networks / subnets?

Is your routing table okay (netstat -nr)?

What are the switch ports set to (speed / duplex)? You need to match that on the HP side.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
rick jones
Honored Contributor

One cannot set a NIC or switch port to both 100FD _and_ Autoneg at the same time. They are mutually exclusive.

Also, as pointed-out, _both_ sides of the link need to be set to the _same_ value. If one side is auto and the other hardcoded autoneg "fails" (as per the spec) and the link is brought-up in 100HD
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor

Best not to use auto-negotiate on the server nic or the switch. Manually code both to be 100 FUll duplex.
dgizaw
Frequent Advisor

Thank you all for the help. Everything looks ok now after I set it to 100FD manual from the server and the switch side. It was jumping to 100HD or 10FD every time I set it up. This took us more than three days. Now it looks stable. I also set it in the hpbtlanconf file. The HP support told me to use -i option and the lan# (traceroute -i lan0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) for traceroute command on HP-UX 11.11.

I realy appriciate all of you

Daniel