Operating System - Microsoft
1752782 Members
6454 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mounting EMC Celerra NFS partitions onto a WIN2K server

Mounting EMC Celerra NFS partitions onto a WIN2K server

Hi storage gurus,

We have a number of Celerra Data movers issuing out NFS mount points to our HPUX servers. We are thinking of deploying a file system archiving service, but this will only work on a win2k server. We want to mount the NFS mount points onto this win2k server and then archive. I've heard that there'll be issues with atomic and non-atomic file copy, but I'm uncertain of how this affects my plans. Does anyone have any thought about this scenario?

Thanks,

Jon.
5 REPLIES 5
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

I'd go with smb/cifs (samba or HP's modified samba: CIFS9000) - and the Celerra can do SMB/CIFS (the Celerra datamovers are linux boxes).

When you say you want to do "file system archiving", what systems are you archiving? Just the Windows boxes (hopefully)?

And of course, any time you have to deal with Windows boxes, you have issues with them (M$) not complying with standards.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die

Hi Harry,

Thanks for that - the data movers issue out both nfs and cifs and I want to archive both. What I wasn't sure about was whether the data movers could issue out the same mount point as both cifs and nfs at the same time. This way, I should be able to mount an NFS volume onto the Win2k server ready for archiving. Need to do some testing I think!!

Rgds,

Jon.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

You can easily install samba client for your HP-UX boxes to mount to the Celerra.

http://www.software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B8724AA

When you say "archiving", what "process" are you talking about?

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die

Hi Harry,

I'm investigating IXOS File System Archive that removes the main body of files from a file system based on rules (e.g.not updated for 6 months etc), leaving a stub behind, then puts them onto optical or tape for long term archive and retrieval. Unfortunately, the FSA product only runs on Win2k so I need to mount CIFS and NFS volumes onto that server in order to do the archiving. It leaves an XML file stub beind, so I hope that UNIX clients will understand this as well as Win2k clients...

Rgds,

Jon.
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Windoze and Unix are TWO very different operating systems. But I see issues from both OS's with this approach of replacing old files with a stub file (aka in this case an XML document identifying where it went to). A lot of configuration files are not updated for months, if years. On the unix side, hte OS does NOT automatically launch applications based upon file name suffixes, thus if you "SNUFF" a file and an application needs to use it, it will NOT know how to handle the new file name "BLAH.xml". Hell, it won't even find it because it isn't named "BLAH".

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die