108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2008 Hyper-V guest IP addressing question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Landrew09
Advisor

Windows 2008 Hyper-V guest IP addressing question

I have a Hyper-v newbie question. Can a Hyper-V server host guest operating systems (Windows) via a single (shared) network adaptor while providing each guest with valid (for corporate network) IP addresses?
Scenario:
One windows 2008 Hyper-v server with three Widows 2003 guest servers. The physical host server has two NICs, one is reserved for the host Hyper-v server, the second NIC is to be used for guest operating systems. I don't have the ability to add additional NICs for each guest so I have to work with what I have. I need to isolate each guest with their IP addresses so they can host applications on our network. I need each guest to have an IP address for our internal 10.x.x.x network. Though it should not be relevant, these guests will be accessed via an external load balancer, hence the requirement for valid internal IP addresses. I have the guests installed but have not configured the network adaptors for any of the guests.
Thanks for any input.
2 REPLIES 2
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

You can use one NIC for many guests - generally speaking it's only performance limited.

>>, the second NIC is to be used for guest operating systems

On this NIC you will not define any IP in Hyper-V, you define them in win2003 guests
Landrew09
Advisor

This confirms what I had thought.
Sorry for the late response on points.