New Discussion юеВ

Re: winsock apps ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sharfuddin
Frequent Advisor

winsock apps ?

Hi

what type of applications are called winsock-based applications ?
and is internet explorer(or any other MS Windows compatible browser), and msn messenger are winsock-based application ?

Thanks in Advance.

Sharfuddin
13 REPLIES 13
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Winsock is MS term for socket based application.
A Socket application is any software is using the "socket" for TCP/IP comunication (the standard use in Internet).
Your question is very dubt because winsock or socket application are named at source code; however everey windows application use TCP/IP is potentially a winsock-based application.

H.T.H.
@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Sharfuddin
Frequent Advisor

Many Thanks Dear Antoniov, and so nice of u.

May I ask more favors....

what type of network-application(IP-based applications) required socks proxy server(or simply socks proxy) ??? if u or anybody else please name one or two popular/common IP-based applications/network-applications that use/require socks proxy server. One more thing to ask,.. why some network-apps required socks proxy server ???

Thanks in anticipation

Regards

Sharfuddin
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Sharfuddin,
I can't understand your question.
Proxy server is a host conneted to internet to send and receive socket instead your direct host; it's used to hide the real host and so protect from external hacker.
Please, specify what type of application you need.
@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor
Solution

a proxy server is a server that sits between you and a webservice and proxies the connection. you connect to the proxy server, tell it what to go get and where, it talkes to the webservice and grabs all the requisite data (most of them also cache stuff for speed) and sends it back to you.

Socks Proxy is a special type of proxy server that handles other stuff in addition to webservices, but the same concept applies.

Winsock is microsofts name for Windows TCP/IP Sockets, as previously mentioned. winsock was an addon to win95 and win31, but has been part of the os since then.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Sharfuddin
Frequent Advisor

Hi agian
Many Thanks for continous feedbacks Antoniov. Dear Antoniov now I want to know abt what are "SOCKS Proxy" servers, and which type of ip-based apps required sock proxy server. I know the role of proxy servers, but I m not clear abt socks proxy and or socks proxy server. Ok I m giving u a clue,
msn-messenger->Tools->Options->Connections->I use a proxy server->Type->SOCK version 4/5

Dear Thomas Bianco i highly appreciate u for the feedback n support. Could u pleaze named one or two services other than the webservices that require SOCKS proxy server. I mean let me know 1 or 2 services that require socks proxy server. Or in other words whats the special role of Socks proxy server?

I hope i have cleared my question.

Many Thanks in Anticipation

Best Regards
Sharfuddin

Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

Q) Many Thanks for continous feedbacks Antoniov. Dear Antoniov now I want to know abt what are "SOCKS Proxy" servers, and which type of ip-based apps required sock proxy server. I know the role of proxy servers, but I m not clear abt socks proxy and or socks proxy server. Ok I m giving u a clue,
msn-messenger->Tools->Options->Connections->I use a proxy server->Type->SOCK version 4/5

Socks Proxy servers are the normal proxy servers which use the SOCKS protocol for communication..

for more info about SOCKS protocl check this link..

http://www.socks.permeo.com/AboutSOCKS/SOCKSOverview.asp

Ganesh
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

as the names implies a socks server provides Raw sockets on the far side of the firewall.

as i know, there is no application that REQUIRES a socks proxy. there are many applications that work better with socks proxies over a more traditional http proxy, including msn messenger.

There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Sharfuddin
Frequent Advisor

Gr8 Help Gurus
Me so dumb so plz accept my appologies.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hello Sharfudin,
sorry for delay answer I was busy.
Thomas posted right, there are no specific software request proxy.
As written in my previous post, proxy server is used to protect PC from external hack; hacker use proxy to hide their own PC when attack other.
Please don't use proxy to attack other PC ;-)

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti