New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCX$CHKPWDEXP.EXE for Intergrity

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Vida
Advisor

PCX$CHKPWDEXP.EXE for Intergrity

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a version of PCX$CHKPWDEXP.EXE that works on Intergrity servers? This was working fine with our Alpha servers but have since migrated to Itaniums running OpenVMS 8.3.

Our Operations staff uses eXcursion for access and we didn't realized that it wasn't prompting for a password change.

Thanks for any help,
Bob
4 REPLIES 4
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Translate the executable image via DECmgrate (also known as VEST and AEST for VAX-to-Alpha and Alpha-to-Itanium), as a work-around.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/integrity/transition/app_tools.html

If you have support, ask that it be added into some related software offering, or see if the support center can get you a build of it.

Dig around. The PWDEXP tool in the PASSWD submission on the OpenVMS Freeware V4.0 distro looks pretty close to what you want.

Or roll your own. Depending on what's going on, looking at the password expirations is trivial via a couple of system service calls including a sys$getuai (and fetching the user's own UAF data doesn't usually require privileges). I have most of that $getuai code posted as part of the NEWUSER package.
Bob Vida
Advisor

Thanks for the quick reply Hoff. I'll look into the suggestions. I pay enough for support so I'll also take this up with them.

1 More question on the subject. The eXcursion logins show up as non-interactive in the authorization file. Is this expected behaviour? I thought they would be interactive.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Expected? Donno. Typical? Yeah. The login-source (type) stuff has been inconsistent for some years now. How the session goes through LOGINOUT processing (or goes around it, for that matter) determines how that type stuff is reported.

For a direct analog to this login type identity "crisis", dig around for previous discussions of user-based licensing and LMF going back since about a half-hour after the genesis of interactive login licenses, as (depending on how these logins are identified to VMS and to LMF) you can have too many or too few logins permissible for your licenses, based on the number of users that were licensed and how each process logs in.

And yes, OpenVMS on Itanium got rid of user-based licensing.

This login source stuff might have made sense in the 1980s and the era of hard-wired terminals and batch jobs, but it's rather less relevant in 2010.
Bob Vida
Advisor

Thanks again Hoff.