108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Where is my new tape drive?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joaquin Martinez_1
Frequent Advisor

Where is my new tape drive?

Hi all. Recently, our tape drive got jammed with a tape inside it, so we had to replace the unit with a new one. Once we installed the drive, we noticed it that the OS didn't install it where the old one was (which is /dev/tape/tape0), instead it chose a new path, /dev/tape/tape2_d6, which therefore gave us a lot of a headache since we had to change a few scripts (after we found it under that path, of course, thing that took us like 30 minutes). So, my questions are as follow:

1) Is there anyway that you can list the avaliable tape devices under a given machine?
2) How do the OS choose where to install the drive ? My boss told me that they technician probably inverted the SCSI cable, thing that actually got me in doubt.
3) Once you find the device, is there anyway that you can actually change its location ? That is, in my case, it chose /dev/tape/tape2_d6, but can I change it with the old path (/dev/tape/tape0) ?

Thank you all for your cooperation.
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Where is my new tape drive?

1) Use:

hwmgr view devices
hwmgr show scsi -type tape

2) Where to install the drive? The OS will select a new device name for a new device.

3) You can change to tape0 in this way:

You need to delete tape0 first. From the output of hwmgr view deivces you will see the HWID, for the tape0, run:

hwmgr delete -id

Where is the numeric value shown in hwmgr view devices.

Then run:

dsfmgr -m tape2 tape0

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] we had to change a few scripts [...]

You should use logical names in your scripts
instead of physical device names. Oops.
Wrong operating system.

You might use symbolic links to actual
devices, and then you could change the links
instead of all the individual scripts. It's
not as nice as using logical names, but Tru64
is not VMS.
Joaquin Martinez_1
Frequent Advisor

Ivan, thanks again for your help. I aprreciate that.

Steven, very clever, I'll take the advice and apply it accordingly.