1754868 Members
5751 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Absolute nightmare of a DL380 G7

BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

Absolute nightmare of a DL380 G7

To fill those in that don't already know...

Our DL380 G7 has been a nightmare since day 1. Firstly the machine would randomly reboot. HP replaced the motherboard and afterwards it just randomly shutdown. This was narrowed down to a possible UPS issue (see http://www.geakeit.co.uk/2010/11/04/review-avoid-the-hp-dl380-g7/).

UPS replaced (at significant cost) the server now BSODs with 0xF4.

I've installed the latest PSP and been through the entire device manager and updated everything that's there (driver and firmware). I'll reboot it shortly once the morning load is out of the way.

Anyone else have any ideas where to go next with this waste of money?
78 REPLIES 78
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

By the way when the server reboots the storage controller sometimes fails to initialize. When it does initialize (normally following a further forced reboot) it displays post error 1719 (controller failure) and lockup code 0x13.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
we have only limited numbers on G6 server, but newer had such problem. We use original HP ups's and APC Symetra PX ups's.
It seem high quality HP PSU require really good online ups.
Why do blame HP? Modern PSU's with active PFC and very high eficiency (80+) are common in home computers, finally global vendors push them into server world to save energy...

Jan
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

none of our other servers exhibit this behavior and HP never made any mention of this when selling the server.

Also, their technical support barely know what a UPS even is..
Simon.H
Advisor

Hi there Brightminds, I share your pain !

We recently purchased 17 DL380 G7's for a variety of uses; a couple of 4-node Hyper-V clusters, a couple of 3-node Xen Server clusters and a 3-node SQL cluster.

We have intermittently been having server hangs/reboots with some, but not all of these servers, which sound very similar to the issue you are reporting.

Initially we were getting fairly frequent Stop 0xF4's with some of the servers running Windows Server 2008 R2, with no crash dump file but always an Integrated Management Log entry on the next powerup saying "POST Error: 1719 - A controller failure event occurred prior to this power-up". This suggests to me that the array controller was hanging, and as you say, sometimes struggling to even get the server to reboot again, with the server getting stuck on the BIOS Option ROM screen initialising the array controller.

We then upgraded the P410I Array Controller BIOS on the server to v3.52, which we thought had fixed the issue. (This update isn't listed on the DL380 G7 Support and Drivers page for some reason, you need to goto the P410i support and drivers page), but we now have had the issue re-occur, but gut feeling is that it happens less often now.

I'm just about to raise the issue with HP Support again, but its always a painful experience that I have no expectation of finding a solution (Run raid diagnostics, reseat the cache memory, reset the NVRAM etc. etc.)

I just hope that HP know about the issue and are already working on a fix !

Out of curiosity, hum much memory do you have in your servers ? for us the servers that suffer the most have more memory in them than the others, 60GB.
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

Simon - Absolutely fantastic, someone with the same issues as us!

Yes the IML has post errors with 1719 - a controller failed etc after hanging/BSOD'ing with 0xF4.

Updated the P410i firmware to 3.52 and it still happens.

Should take delivery of a new UPS tomorrow but I'll be amazed if that makes a difference.

My email address is josh {at} my username dot co dot uk. We're desperate for something to fix as it's our dedicated SQL server!
Simon.H
Advisor

Hi Joel, we run our servers off a building UPS, so I can't believe power is an issue. What's the spec of your G7? Ours is as follows:

Part Number: 583970-421 DL380 G7 - 2xXeon X5660/2.8Ghz, 2x750W PSU, Smart Array P410i/1G FBWC
Memory: 60GB (6x2GB and 6x8GB)
Storage: 2x 72GB 6G SAS 15K SFF Dual Port (Mirrored)
3 x NC364T PCI Express Quad Port Gigabit Server Adapter
O/S: Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Do you get a crash dump file with your BSODs ?
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

It's Josh not Joel!

Our DL380 G7 is...

2x X5650
32GB Ram
2x 72GB Raid1
2x 72GB Raid1
4x 146GB Raid 5

Don't think I have the crash dump but I'll look tomorrow.
BrightMinds
Frequent Advisor

Also btw we're running Server 2008 R2 x64.

Don't have memory dump I'm afraid :( I've set it to create next time though.
Simon.H
Advisor

It will be interesting to see if you get a crashdump...

What cache size and type have you got on your array controller ?

Next thing I'm trying is upgrading the firmware on our SAS drives, and then temporarily removing the Flash Backed Write Cache from one of our servers to see if that may be the culprit.