4339 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: After creating the second Array, windows doesen't boot anymore

werner.zeller
Advisor

After creating the second Array, windows doesen't boot anymore

Hi,

I have a test system DL380g5 with a p400i ctrl with 2 disks (Boot Raid1)for windows 2008r2  and 6 disks (raid5). There  is a problem after creating the second array B and create the logical disk, it changes the raid5 array to array A, and the existing boot array a will change to array b. With that it will not boot anymore.

The server has all the FW from february 2014.

In bios the boot order is correct.

I don't know how to fix it... Does somebody know the problem?

Thanks,

regards

werner

4 REPLIES 4
f_silva
HPE Pro

You need select boot volume in Array Utility

below is the Steps:

1: start the computer and wait till you see; "Press F8 to run option ROM configuration for Array utility"

2- Press F8, you will see the Main Menu, Select the last option "Select Boot Volume"

3: Select in  Direct attached storage,

4: if you see first logical drive 01 select it .

5: Press F8 To save Logical Drive 01 as Boot Volume.

6: Press F8 to Exit and start with New Boot Volum.

Accept or Kudo
waaronb
Respected Contributor

I was curious about this... I don't see an option to change the boot volume in the smart array F8 screens (ORCA). I think maybe you have to boot from the Smartstart/SPP disc and use the full array config utility to do that?

At least on a G5, that may be the case. Maybe P410's have different options, and with the Gen8 servers you can get into the ACU during POST...it's built in which is pretty nice.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@waaronb wrote:
I was curious about this... I don't see an option to change the boot volume in the smart array F8 screens (ORCA). I think maybe you have to boot from the Smartstart/SPP disc and use the full array config utility to do that?

At least on a G5, that may be the case. Maybe P410's have different options, and with the Gen8 servers you can get into the ACU during POST...it's built in which is pretty nice.

I don't think the controller in that system offered the option of selecting the boot LUN.  I've never ran across the issue you're describing, but it could be a bug in ORCA. Try creating the new array with ACU and see if array B is changed to the boot array

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Yeah, I didn't see any option to do that when I tried booting a DL380 G5 from Smartstart disc either.

For the original poster, you might try what Jimmy suggested, and create the new array using the ACU program if you had tried it using the boot ORCA program the first time.

Otherwise, the ACU command line might offer you more choices about how the new array is ordered, but personally, I've never had a reason to use the ACU CLI, so I don't have any idea... the ACU documentation does have examples of setting the boot volume using the CLI, so that may be a good option.

Of course that assumes you're able to boot into your OS to be able to run the CLI. I guess you can delete the new array in ORCA, boot up into your original boot array, create the new array from the Windows ACU CLI and try out the examples to set the boot volume from there.

I hope that helps and that you're able to get it going. It can be hard sometimes working on these older gen Proliants when you're used to the newer features... you realize just how much you're missing going from a Gen8 to a G5. :)