2573 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Cancel a pending BIOS change?

Galant
Frequent Visitor

Cancel a pending BIOS change?

Hi,

Is it possible to cancel a pending command sent in the iLO restful app to reset the BIOS to defaults?

I'm new to iLO and recently had to look at a server configured by someone else. I couldn't see if iLO had been configured but found the restful app and was hoping to get some sort of config output. I made the stupid mistake of running the biosdefaults command thinking it would output the current defaults, not reset the BIOS to default.

As such I've got a pending BIOS reset on next restart. Is it possible to cancel it?

8 REPLIES 8
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

I think that this activity cannot be reverted or cancelled. The activity will proceed as programmed.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Galant
Frequent Visitor

Thanks.

It was suggested that I could try running the same command again but with the --userdefaults switch. The hope being that it would maintain the saved user settings, but they were unable to confirm. 

Does that sound feasible?

Also, would a BIOS reset remove the RAID, or is that sitting with the controller?

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Hello,

Resetting BIOS will not remove the RAID configuration.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

SydUmar_1
HPE Pro

Hello,
If the RAID is configured as a Software RAID (S100i controller), it would reset the RAID. However, if you are using a MR, SR Storage controller, resetting the BIOS will not make any difference. 

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Galant
Frequent Visitor

I really appreciate all your help.

Is there a way I can confirm what RAID controller it has?

It's an ML350 Gen 10 P11051-421.

It's running Windows 2019 but no GUI.

The restful app is installed but I can't confirm iLO was properly set up.

I don't have any information from when the server was originally setup and I'm not familiar with HP servers.

SydUmar_1
HPE Pro

Hello,

Based on the product number that has been provided, it appears that the server came with a P408I-A storage controller. However, the server would have a Software RAID based controller embedded on the System board. Unless and until the logs are checked, it would be difficult to confirm what RAID controller is being used.

Would suggest you to log a HPE support ticket to check the hardware configuration and assist you with your query - https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00039121enw.pdf?jumpid=in_pdfviewer-psnow 

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Galant
Frequent Visitor

Warranty and support have expired on this machine. I'm not sure the client would want to pay for ad hoc support at this point.

Is there a command somewhere where I can get some info back on the current configuration?

SydUmar_1
HPE Pro

We could possibly try this to understand which storage controller is connected and configured. Please follow the below steps : 

1. Restart the Server
  2. Tap F10 to get into Intelligent Provisioning on the POST screen
  3. Select Smart Storage Administrator on the prompt that you would get
  4. Available Storage controllers will reflect on the left hand side of the HPE Smart Storage Administrator
  5. Click on one of the controllers showing up, you would have 2 options on the right - Configure & Diagnose
  6. Clicking on Configure will show you the logical devices on the left.
  7. Click on Logical Devices and that would show up the RAID configuration.
  8. Repeat the same process (Steps 5-8 If there is another controller showing up as per Step 4)
  9. This should give us information which controller is being used. 

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo