Data loss after HDD replacement on ProLiant DL380

SOLVED
Go to solution
teckel
Occasional Contributor

Data loss after HDD replacement on ProLiant DL380

Hi all,

After a HDD replacement on my server, I can't access the data on it;

I have a ProLiant DL380 Gen9 with 8 Hard Disk Drives configured in RAID 1+0 on a smart array P440ar controller. HDD n°1 mirror HDD n°8, HDD n°2 mirror HDD n°7, HDD n°3 mirror HDD n°6 and HDD n°4 mirror HDD n°5.

I had HDD n°3 and n°6 in Predictive Failure status. By mistake both HDD were remove at the same time, de-enabling the smart array controller (see Pigure 1).

I put the old HDD n°3 back and a new HDD position n°6. I re-enabled the controller, it was rebuilding data and once the data rebuild from 3 to 6, I replace the HDD n°3 by a new one. The data was rebuilding from HDD n°6 to HDD n°3 (See Picture 2).

Even if all the data stored on HDD n°3 and n°6 (mirror) are supposed to be recovered (see Picture 3), I still can't access the data on my server. On a reboot I can see the error message      -       1716-Slot # Drive Array - Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives      (see Picture 4)

I lauch a diagnostic and HDD n°3 and n°6 failed the Random Read Test (See Picture 5).

Do you know what happened and what can I do next to recover the data?

3 REPLIES 3
Sham82
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Data loss after HDD replacement on ProLiant DL380

Hello, 

The Error you mentioned "1716-Slot # Drive Array - Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives "
is a clear match with below Advisory:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00104843en_us

You can check below as well :
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=sf000081293en_us

However, for detailed analysis , we would suggest you to log a HPE support case with latest AHS and ADU report.

Regards
HPE

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

teckel
Occasional Contributor

Hi thanks for the answer, finally I erase the configuration of my controler and I recover the data from another backup system

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @teckel,

That's excellent! 

We are extremely glad to know the problem has been resolved. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo