1761411 Members
2763 Online
108901 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Dl320s issues trying to install Windows 2008 server or WHS 2011

Micheal pugh
Occasional Contributor

Dl320s issues trying to install Windows 2008 server or WHS 2011

I have a DL320s server that I want to use as a home server. I know it uses a lot of power, but I dont mind.

When trying to install WHS 2011 or Windows Server 2008 I can only have 1gb of ram installed otherwise nothing will boot or load correctly 

If I have 2-4gb installed it always gets stuck at the Windows screen.

When I am able to use safemode boot It stops at disk.sys and will not proceed any further.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Micheal pugh
Occasional Contributor

Forgot to add I am unable to activate the onboard sata controller. I want to use if for the OS on an SSD

I think my motherboard is messed up as I just tried to do the SPP update and it will not work via USB or CD

Micheal pugh
Occasional Contributor

I found my issue. The server was running some really old BIOS/ROM/Firmware on the motherboard and P800.

I was able to reload the Recovery DVD get Win2k3 back on it. 

Once it was all loaded and updated I went to HP's website and download Startstart, Rompaq, etc and got the server upto the latest and greated revs.

At this point I was able to load all of the memory and install W2k8 and WHS. I was only able to install from USB and not CD. For some reason the CD would stop reading (tried different DVD roms and different sata ports)