1756747 Members
3375 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion

Dl320s issues trying to install Windows 2008 server or WHS 2011

Micheal pugh
Occasional Contributor

Dl320s issues trying to install Windows 2008 server or WHS 2011

I have a DL320s server that I want to use as a home server. I know it uses a lot of power, but I dont mind.

When trying to install WHS 2011 or Windows Server 2008 I can only have 1gb of ram installed otherwise nothing will boot or load correctly 

If I have 2-4gb installed it always gets stuck at the Windows screen.

When I am able to use safemode boot It stops at disk.sys and will not proceed any further.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Micheal pugh
Occasional Contributor

Re: Dl320s issues trying to install Windows 2008 server or WHS 2011

Forgot to add I am unable to activate the onboard sata controller. I want to use if for the OS on an SSD

I think my motherboard is messed up as I just tried to do the SPP update and it will not work via USB or CD

Micheal pugh
Occasional Contributor

Re: Dl320s issues trying to install Windows 2008 server or WHS 2011

I found my issue. The server was running some really old BIOS/ROM/Firmware on the motherboard and P800.

I was able to reload the Recovery DVD get Win2k3 back on it. 

Once it was all loaded and updated I went to HP's website and download Startstart, Rompaq, etc and got the server upto the latest and greated revs.

At this point I was able to load all of the memory and install W2k8 and WHS. I was only able to install from USB and not CD. For some reason the CD would stop reading (tried different DVD roms and different sata ports)