108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DL370 G6 Overheated SATA Drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
chadtandy
Advisor

HP DL370 G6 Overheated SATA Drives

Hi, we've recently purchased 2x HP Proliant DL370 G6 servers, we loaded them up with 146GB 10k SAS drives from HP, but on one of the servers we ordered 8 Seagate 500 GB 2.5" drives and drive carriers from an outside vendor (HP just charges too much for SATA drives... SCSI drives are fairly priced though).
Anyway we frequently receive Error 1717 and 1784 in Lights Out only for the SATA drives and then lose connection to them in VMWare at times. All the fans are running (even turned them up to maximum in BIOS) and the hard drives are never even warm to the touch.
I'm thinking this is an issue with a false positive error... The drives are Seagate ST9500420AS drives.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Chad
37 REPLIES 37
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

might be drivers timing out.

please attach ADU report to find the root cause of the failure
chadtandy
Advisor

Not sure how to HP ADU report, I'm running VMWare vSphere 4 ESX.

-Chad
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

reboot the server, boot from smartstart, go to maintenance, array diagnostic utility.

chadtandy
Advisor

I receive a warning on all drives: Drive does not support a DST log on this configuration.

-Chad
chadtandy
Advisor

Also attached is the ADU report.

-Chad
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi Chad,

System and controller card firmware version ?

The following steps to control:

POST Error: 1717-Slot z Drive Array Controller - Disk Drive(s) Reporting OVERHEATED Condition

Possible Cause: The array drives listed in this message are currently in an overheated state.
Action: Action: Check the fans and be sure the air flows over the drive. Install the access panel, if removed.

and;

POST Error: 1784-Slot X Array Controller is in lock-up state due to a hardware configuration failure. (Controller is disabled until this issue is resolved.)

Possible Cause: One or more hardware subsystems failed to initialize properly.

Action: Reboot the server. If the issue still exists and a cache memory module is attached to the controller, replace the cache memory module and reboot the server.

Regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

peterjlloyd

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with a DL360 G6 (SA P410i)

Initially with the same Seagate Momentus 7200.4 drives (only the 320Gb version) that Chad is trying to use.

Suspecting an unusual incompatability I switched to Hitachi HTS5450509A300 500Gb drive but have exactly the same problem with them.

The Samsung PB22-J solid state drives behave as expected.

All firmware is at latest versions.

Hitachi diagnostics show the drives at a constant 17 degrees but the P410i firmware reports 1717 overheated.

Please help, thanks
Peter
peterjlloyd
Solution

UPDATE: Having tried a few more models I've found a couple that work as expected.

Samsung HM320JI (SATA-150 320Gb 5400)
Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVT (SATA-300 320Gb 5400)

My requirements and testing budget doesn't extend to 500Gb.

This obviously isn't an isolated incident, does anyone from HP maintain a list of compatible parts or is the official line just to pay through the nose for the branded product?
George M Porter

I believe that the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 drives do not have any temperature sensors at all in them (for some drives I had lying around on another machine, smartctl told me there was no such sensor. So the firmware in the p410 controller could just erroneously report that as 'overheat'. Given that the alarm in the controller is something like 63C, I think you would know if they were actually overheating.

That is the major downside to using consumer-grade drives, is that their firmware typically doesn't support most extended features/S.M.A.R.T. registers.