1752567 Members
5282 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Intelligent Provisioning Firmware Update not working

gparker
Advisor

Intelligent Provisioning Firmware Update not working

Hi, I've got a brand new DL360e-Gen8 server and I've configured the iLO with a static IP address on our network. I've also connected one of the onboard NICs to our network. I can login to the iLO successfully from my laptop which is on the same network. I am trying to update the system's firmware via Intelligent Provisioning/Firmware Update utility. Intelligent Provisioning has detected both the iLO's IP settings and the onboard NIC. When I select Firmware Update, it says "Looking for updates, this may take a few minutes..." and after a while it eventually returns an error. I found a HP KB article that says that if there's an SD card in the server the Firmware Update fails. I did have an SD card inserted on the motherboard which I will be installing ESXi onto, so I removed it, powered up the server, went back into Intelligent Provisioning/Firmware Update and the "Looking for updates, this may take a few minutes..." message is on the screen for much longer than it was when the SD card was in, but it doesn't appear to be proceeding beyong this message. Please help.

George.

37 REPLIES 37
gparker
Advisor

Hi again, the "Looking for updates, this may take a few minutes..." message finally gets replaced with "This process is taking longer than expected - Wait or Quit". Help!

George.

PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please make sure that the host ftp.hp.com is not blocked in  the firewall.

You can try also with an update of the Intelligent Provisioning.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX-ee713c2ad3694a0c83094f6847

Thanks,

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
gparker
Advisor

Hi PGTRI,

The server doesn't have an OS loaded on it yet. I tested that ftp.hp.com isn't blocked on the firewall by successfully telnetting to ftp.hp.com on my laptop which is on the same network as the server and gets its IP adress from the same DHCP range as the server is.

I upgraded the Intelligent Provisioning from v1.10.10 to v1.30.113 and this has improved the situation. In the Firmware Update section, on the "Retrieving data, this may take a few minutes" screen I can now see a large list of HP components and I can see it progressing its way down the list checking off each component. It gets about 1/2 way through the list and stops with an error - see attachment. I cold booted the server and started the FW upgrade again and it stopped again.

Moderator edit: The above links are no longer valid. 

gparker
Advisor

Here is the attachedment from my previous post...

gparker
Advisor

Update:-

I decided to download the latest SPP full ISO image, boot the server with it and did the FW updates successfully.

So either something's still not kosher with the FW update feature of Intelligent Provisioning, or the server for whatever reason can't download all the updates from the HP ftp site.

George.

Ingemar Fällman

We have the same issue if we use Static IPv4 address, but if we use DHCP it can download the firmware updates.

But there seem to be a bug when using a static IPv4 address.

Hkn

I am also having the same issue. And dhcp option solved it too.

There must be something buggy about that static ip option

binhoboro

I am also having the same issue. And dhcp option solved it too DL380p Gen8

Im both cases ( Static or DHCP ) IP address could be ping, but just using DHCP on "Firmware Updates" tools connect to the hp.com. 

Steve Begley
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

We had exactly the same problem up until IP Version 1.3 but all now works in 1.4 even

with static IP address.

You can download it as below but you must select the downloads tab.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=Intelligent%20Provisioning%20Version%201.4&t=All&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

Hope this helps,

Steve.B.

Tea break over - back on yer heads!