ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752802 Members
5591 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is there any script tool available to config raid via ilo port on proliant gen9 servers?

SOLVED
Go to solution
hy_chn
Visitor

Is there any script tool available to config raid via ilo port on proliant gen9 servers?

Recently I bought some dl380 gen9 servers, and i was able to configure ilo and bios settings by restful interface tool.

Although there's smartarray function in the tool, it seems only work on gen10 servers.

Is there any script tool which can config raid on gen9 servers?

7 REPLIES 7
Ken Green
Advisor
Solution

Re: Is there any script tool available to config raid via ilo port on proliant gen9 servers?

You can check out the scripting toolkit, this lets you setup the SmartArray on the pre-gen10 systems.

hy_chn
Visitor

Is there any tool we can use to config raid only from ilo port?

or can we make a script into an iso file  and config everything up by just boot the iso up?

Ken Green
Advisor

It doesn't work from the iLO as you said you need a gen10 to be able to do that. The Scripting ToolKit (STK) works by booting an OS and running the script from there. You can use an ISO file, a USB image or just PXE boot it, which is how I tend to work.
Take  a look at
https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/product-catalog/detail/pip.5219389.html

Ken Green
Advisor

My interest is doing this for Linux systems (YMMV) and for CentOS/RHEL 6 I'd tend to take the STK commands like hpssacli & hssascripting and drop them into the install environment for the OS so that I can setup the SmartArray inside a kickstart install. It's a pain to do for 7 as that initializes too much of it's IO environment before running the kickstart %pre scrript.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I've used the toolkit for many for custom deployments. The scripts would configure the hardware, (RBSU, Smart Array, iLO) then carve out a small partition on a drive, copy the Linux installer kernel and initrd image along with the proper boot configurations file.  The system would then reboot from the disk and do an automated installation from the network. If the contrib directory is still included in the toolkit you can see some examples that were created many years ago for the field guys to use.  

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Ken Green
Advisor

For Linux installs there's a better approach that saves you the reboot between the run of the STK's copy Linux and the installers one. From inside your STK script you download the kernel and initrd file and then use kexec to jump straight into it. This lets you script completely control the switch over and as I said saves the reboot and the resulting time spent watching the BIOS screens. There used to be an example in the STK that showed how to do it. I've not checked the v11 STK but the v10 STK still had the examples but they've been reorganised a bit.

hy_chn
Visitor

Thanks a lot, and I will try this script tool.