5941 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: The Cache is Permanently Disabled

SOLVED
Go to solution
Svfd1118

The Cache is Permanently Disabled

DL360 G5, P400i array controller. I cannot look at the status of the controller through the ACU, it gives me the stop sign. I have attached the report. I am not sure what needs to be replaced. I received a card that attaches to the motherboard, the cache module and two sas cables hook into it. I unhooked the cache module, unhooked the sas cables, replaced the card, rehooked module and cables and booted. I got "controller is in lock up state", server wouldn't boot. I put the old card back in the server and it booted back to Windows 2003 like normal, still had the Cache Disabled error when looking at the ADU. Any ideas on what and how to fix this?
9 REPLIES 9
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

do you have a BBWC module for the P400i? If not, you can't enable the write cache. Write cache only can be enabled, after adding a BBWC module.

The battery-backed write cache (BBWC) holds the content of the write cache if a power outage brings the server down. With no BBWC the content of the write cache would be lost and data would be corrupted.

To prevent this, HP deactivates the write cache.

Best reagards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Svfd1118

I do have a BBWC module, in fact the errors I have been getting below have to do with the battery.

1794-Drive Array - Array Accelerator Battery Charge Low...
...Array Accelerator is temporarily disabled.

1797-Drive Array - Array Accelerator Read Error Occurred...
...Data in Array Accelerator has been lost.

Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Hi there

Check this out:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c01702138#N137D8

That's what it says:

1794-Drive Array - Array Accelerator Battery Charge Low...
...Array Accelerator is temporarily disabled.
Array Accelerator will be re-enabled when battery reaches full charge.
Audible Beeps: None
Possible Cause: The battery charge is below 75 percent. Posted writes are disabled.
Action: Replace the array accelerator board if the batteries do not recharge within 36 powered-on hours.

1797-Drive Array - Array Accelerator Read Error Occurred...
...Data in Array Accelerator has been lost.
Array Accelerator is disabled.
Audible Beeps: None
Possible Cause: Hard parity error detected while reading data from posted-writes memory.
Action: Replace the array accelerator daughter board.

Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

my fault, I missed the "Cache Disable Code".

Sorry for that.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

if the p400i shows up a message like
"controller is in lock up state" might be this

17xx-Slot X Array Controller is in lock-up state due to a hardware configuration failure.
(Controller is disabled until this problem is resolved.)

Action: Reboot the server. If the problem still exists and a cache memory module is attached to the controller, replace the cache memory module and reboot the server.

http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1205372011077+28353475&threadId=1134552

[Admin: This link is no longer valid]

or swap the module between controller so you can determine if it is the controller or cache

regards

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Svfd1118

Thanks for all the quick replies, I do believe the problem is the cache module and not the actual controller, I am going to order this part and switch it out, hopefully it will resolve the issue.

I dont' want to lose the array configuration obviously, is there anything I need to do to make sure that doesn't happen?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

The array configuration is stored on the disks.... You won't lose it by swapping the cache module - or the controller for that matter.

Cheers,

Rob
Svfd1118

Great, thanks everyone for all the quick help.
Svfd1118

Replace the cache module.