4248 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: UEFI Sehell boot WinPE ISO from HTTP URL does not work anymore on Gen10

JFE_CH
Occasional Visitor

UEFI Sehell boot WinPE ISO from HTTP URL does not work anymore on Gen10

Hi,

We have implemented an UEFI Shell Startup Script which downlaods an Windows PE ISO (with the webclient command) and then boots the ISO to start an automated OS Deployment. This work fine on DL380 Gen9 Servers.
Now we have some DL380 Gen10 servers and for any not explainable reason it just does not work anymore. After the scripts executes the bootx64.efi nothing happens and it goes back straigt to the UEFI Shell. Acutally the same thing happens with an original Windows Server ISO.

Does someone have an idea why the Gen10 sever can not boot anymore from an ISO image which is mounted in the UEFI Shell? What has changed in the UEFI Shell from Gen9 to Gen10 that this suddently stop working?!

Thanks,
Jonas

4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

You may refer to these links:

HPE UEFI Deployment for HPE ProLiant Gen9 Servers - HTTP/FTP URL Boot Deployment
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c05088241

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Deployment for ProLiant Gen10 Servers and Synergy - HTTP/FTP URL Boot Deployment
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00028749en_us

UEFI Deployment Guide for HPE ProLiant Gen10 Servers and HPE Synergy
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00016376en_us

Cannot deploy from the UEFI Shell script
You attempted to deploy an OS using the UEFI Shell script and you see an error message that the deployment failed.
Cause: Configuration settings are not correct.
Action:
1. Verify the following.
a. The Embedded UEFI Shell interface is added to the UEFI Boot Order list or One-Time Boot Menu.
b. When added to the UEFI Boot Order list, the Embedded UEFI Shell interface is the first boot option in UEFI Boot Order list so that it overrides other boot options to load.
c. UEFI Shell Script Auto-Start is enabled.
d. The correct startup.nsh script file location in attached media or a network location is specified. If it is in attached media, the startup.nsh script must be inside the fsX:\ directory.
e. The .nsh script only contains supported commands.
f. Your system has enough RAM memory to create RAM disks during automated script execution.
g. Any OS boot loader or diagnostics application launched using the .nsh scriptis supported to run in UEFI the environment.
2. Try the deployment again.

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Thumb below.  Kudos is a way of saying thank you to a post.
Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

JFE_CH
Occasional Visitor

I know these links and actually the UEFI Startup Script is not the problem at all.

• I can boot to the UEFI Shell
  • The UEFI Startup Script gets loaded and executed without any problem
  • The ISO File gets downlaoded and mounted by the "webclient" command in the UEFI Shell
  • The server has 768GB of RAM. I thinks should be engough to boot a ISO file of 300MB... ;-)

The problem is:

After the ISO is mounted in the UEFI Shell and the bootx64.efi file is exectued just nothing happens. When I mount the ISO as Virtual Media in the iLO then I can boot it by executing bootx64.efi. But when it is mounted in the UEFI Shell it does not work.
I assmue a Bug in Gen10 as extactly the same ISO file can be mounted and booten in the UEFI Shell on a Gen9 Server without any problem!

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@JFE_CH wrote:

I know these links and actually the UEFI Startup Script is not the problem at all.

• I can boot to the UEFI Shell
  • The UEFI Startup Script gets loaded and executed without any problem
  • The ISO File gets downlaoded and mounted by the "webclient" command in the UEFI Shell
  • The server has 768GB of RAM. I thinks should be engough to boot a ISO file of 300MB... ;-)

The problem is:

After the ISO is mounted in the UEFI Shell and the bootx64.efi file is exectued just nothing happens. When I mount the ISO as Virtual Media in the iLO then I can boot it by executing bootx64.efi. But when it is mounted in the UEFI Shell it does not work.
I assmue a Bug in Gen10 as extactly the same ISO file can be mounted and booten in the UEFI Shell on a Gen9 Server without any problem!

I suggest you open a case with HPE support to get this documented and possibly escalated if there is in fact a ROM issue

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
chrislee18a
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jonas,

Try the latest Windows ADK for Windows 10, version 1903 and create a new WinPE image.

I've got it to work to boot with Gen 10 Servers.

Thanks,

Chris

I am a HPE Employee.