Server Management - Remote Server Management
1748259 Members
3653 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Does iLO have a default IP if you do not have DHCP?

James Montigny
Occasional Contributor

Does iLO have a default IP if you do not have DHCP?

With my blade servers, I am able to connect to my servers without KVM with a default IP address (192.168.0.1 or something like that). We just implemented a few DL380s on a LAN that does not have DHCP, does anyone know if such a default config exists on those as well?

In this case it is difficult to connect a keyboard mouse and monitor to the server unless I absolutely have to.
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Does iLO have a default IP if you do not have DHCP?

No, that is a unique feature of the blade servers. You have a couple of options, though:

1. a null modem cable connected to the serial port will let you get into setup. Default 8N1, and you might be able to 'wake up' iLO by typing [ESC](. If iLO doesn't respond, you'll have to reboot the server and select the iLO setup with [F8] when it appears.

2. Assuming either Linux or Windows is running on the box and the ProLiant Support Pack is installed, you can apply a configuration from the host OS to the iLO in that box (as opposed to an over-the-wire config) using HPONCFG.
acartes
Honored Contributor

Re: Does iLO have a default IP if you do not have DHCP?

If you do not want to use DHCP, another option is the Blade Enclosure Static IP offering. IT requires relatively current iLO firmware and a current enclosure.

With this feature, you direct-connect to iLO in bay 1, configure settings for the enclosure, and then as subsequent blades are deployed in the enclosure, they assume subsequent network addresses.

For example
bay 1 - 192.168.100.1
bay 7 - 192.168.100.7

This may not be feasible for you at this stage.