4836 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lights-Out Passthrough Service fails to install on DL380G4 Storage Server

GLOT
Occasional Contributor

Lights-Out Passthrough Service fails to install on DL380G4 Storage Server

Hello,
I try to install passthruilo.exe (1.1.25.0) on a DL380G4 Storage Server (2003 R2): it fails after a timeout with the following message :
"Product: HP Lights-Out Passthrough Service -- Error 1920. Service 'HP Lights-Out Passthrough Service' (hplopts) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."
(I'm administrator of the server)
Thanks for your help.
8 REPLIES 8
acartes
Honored Contributor

Here are some things that I would recommend checking:
1) verify the Passthrough service is enabled in Windows.
2) Verify that iLO has a license key installed.
3) verify that iLO is configured to allow passthrough.
4) Verify that the iLO driver is installed.

If all of these are good, try manually restarting the passthrough service.
Per_25
Occasional Advisor

1. Checked
2. Checked
3. Checked
4. What driver are you talking about. I have installed HP Support Pack 7.60A and verified that all components were installed. I suspect the driver you are talking about is installed with that.

It is not possible to start the service manually since the service can't be installed. During the installation you get the error "HP lights-out passthrough service (hplopts) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start the system services." I am administrator on the computer. Running on a BL20pG3 and Windows 2003 SP1 with the latest patches.
acartes
Honored Contributor

This is the iLO driver:
HP ProLiant Integrated Lights-Out Management Interface Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/download/22830.html

Also, check that remote desktop is enabled:
My Computer/Properties/Remote: Allow users to connect remotely to this computer.
Per_25
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for replying.
Yes I have that driver installed, it comes with the Support Pack and I'm running the latest one.

Remote Desktop is activated. It now turns out we have many servers of different models (we only have HP servers) that get this error. It seems to have happened some time in August. A microsoft patch may be the cause because I don't know of any other changes we made previous to the error came up.
acartes
Honored Contributor

Also check the Application Event Log. If HPLOPTS encounters an expected error, it will record the problem in there.
Per_25
Occasional Advisor

I do not get anything in the event log on a server where I can't install passthru. I also checked a few server for something in the event log but I could not find anything now. However I know I have seen something in the eventlog and the error text was exactly the same as GLOT's error "Product: HP Lights-Out Passthrough Service -- Error 1920. Service 'HP Lights-Out Passthrough Service' (hplopts) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."
acartes
Honored Contributor

Make sure you have installed either RDP or Terminal Services. They both may be there, but one should be enabled (they are not enabled by default).

For Terminal Services, you need to go through the Windows Add/Remove components process.

For RDP, it is "My Computer" /properties /remote
Per_25
Occasional Advisor

The solution is in another thread in the support forums.

Add this key, reboot and then it's possible to install.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control]
"ServicesPipeTimeout"=dword:000927c0

I also installed .NET Framework 2.0, not sure if that helped more or wasn't necessary at all.

Until there is a new version out of the Passthrough Service I think we will not install it. Don't want to add that reg key to all server tbh.