1748169 Members
4111 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Mass iLO Audit

AdamT

Mass iLO Audit

Dear all,

I am hoping to find a relatively easy way to audit around 1,000 servers' iLO settings.

Looking in DNS, there's a few registrations in the iLO DNS zone for generic/default iLO hostnames - which tends to mean some hardware has been swapped out and nobody reconfigured the iLO.

The trouble is, I can't tell which servers have this problem, without logging on to every single one of them and looking at the output of hponcfg.exe /w. I've tried doing this using psexec (these are 99.9% windows servers), but to no avail.

Is there some nice utility, a bit like hponcfg, which will gather the iLO configuration info remotely?

Thanks,

Adam.
4 REPLIES 4
Derek_56
Valued Contributor

Re: Mass iLO Audit

Adam,

Why isn't the hponcfg/psexec combo not working for you? Unless I misunderstand what you're looking for, sounds like you need to write a short batch file around hponcfg and then remotely execute it with psexec.
Running hponcfg /w /v on my 2003, HP servers, I can export the ILO's name (DNS_NAME VALUE), DNS name, and DNS servers from this output. You can then strip this out with something easy like 'type |find /I "DNS_NAME"'.
The other thing I thought of is, if you're assigning IP's to your ILO's via DHCP, you could dump the DHCP scope to see the date of the leases and compare that to DNS to see which of those records were actually active.
Good luck, let us know what you come up with.
Derek
AdamT

Hi Derek,

The psexec approach doesn't work, because I can't tell the remote server to run %PROGRAMFILES%\hp\hponcfg\hponcfg.exe. The remote host complains that it cannot find "C:\Program".

I have tried placing a .bat file in a UNC share:
c:\progra~1\hp\hponcfg\hponcfg.exe /w %COMPUTERNAME%.txt
copy %COMPUTERNAME%.txt \\server\iLO-audit

But the file is not even created on the remote host. I think the problem is with environment variables and PsExec. Unfortunately, the whole point of the exercise is to determine which servers still have unconfigured iLOs, so the output of hponcfg.exe /w by itself is insufficient to tie an iLO hostname to a server hostname.
The iLOs do have their IP settings assigned by DHCP, but unfortunately, this doesn't help me figure out which servers have their iLOs configured with generic hostnames.

An iLO called ILO-LONSQL009 is, in this setup, obviously the iLO for server LONSQL009.

An iLO called ILO803ULDN44G or RIB0080256A331 could belong to anything.

I'm hoping that by running hponcfg against ALL servers in the estate, I'll be able to find out which of them has the troublesome iLO.

Thanks,

Adam.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Adam,

It isn't a solution to the original question perhaps, but can you look in DHCP for the iLO processor address requests and then use the requesting MAC address to look up which port they're plugged in to by checking switch ARP tables?

It might be remedial, but be sure to enclose:

%PROGRAMFILES%\hp\hponcfg\hponcfg.exe

in quotes, as you know that environment variable is likely to expand and contain spaces.

Good luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Adam,
I've attached an powershell script I wrote for having to deal with a similar situation you have.

Please take a look and read the comments in the script for requirements.

Cheers