1753587 Members
6834 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disabled Nodes, Serial Number Name - Suggested Cause & Fix

Tom McGuigan
Frequent Advisor

Disabled Nodes, Serial Number Name - Suggested Cause & Fix

Like others I encountered a problem after upgrade to HPSIM 5.3 SP1 of many disabled nodes displayed only with a serial number, instead of the server/ilo name. After research and some testing, the following seems to explain the cause and provide a fix.
Hope this helps!
Comments welcome!
Tom
To fix the HPSIM Upgrade to 5.3SP1 "Disabled Nodes" problem;
1) Disable SMH and WS-MAN Globally (HPSIM upgrade re-enables these!!)
2) Identify all of the IP addresses of every disabled server and ILO node (over 300 nodes in my case!!).
3) Create a task to discover all of the disabled nodes.
3 REPLIES 3
Tom McGuigan
Frequent Advisor

Ok, so I found the disabled nodes came back after a while, following the "fix" above.
It seems the problem is due to a new "feature" when identifying ILOs in v5.3 SP1. I noticed the following line in the log from identification of an ILO..."Create bare-metal server node if ILO is discovered with "Automatic Server discovery" option enabled."
Apparently, a "bare-metal server node" refers to the dreaded, recurring disabled serial-number-only nodes. I'd suggest disabling "Automatic server discovery" (at least until a better answer is offered by HP??
htulumba
Advisor

We have also the issue with disabled nodes (orphaned nodes with serial number) concerning ESXi3.5 (on usb stick) and HP SIM 5.3 SP1.

How can I disable "Automatic server discovery"? Under Options -> Protocol Settings -> Global Protocol Settings I can only Enable/Disable WS-MAN, but not SMH. Or should I disable SSH?

Under Options -> Discovery -> Configure General Settings the following options are disabled:

- Automatically discover a system when an event is received from it
- Automatically discover a server when its Integrated Lights Out management processor is identified

Should I disable the remaining four options also?
- Discover systems in an enclosure when Onboard Administrator is discovered
- Automatically discover VM guest(s) when the host is identified.
- Automatically discover other virtual partitions within the same vPar Monitor when one of the virtual partition is identified
- Automatically discover all nPars within the same complex when one of the nPars is identified

Thanks
Tom McGuigan
Frequent Advisor

I'd expect that disabling ALL auto-discovery options would eliminate rediscovery of any nodes as just serial numbers...but, we only use the ilo/blade auto-discovery option, so I cannot speak from experience. To test the theory...try disabling ALL auto-discovery options, delete the serial-number-only nodes, and wait to see if they reappear.