Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753828 Members
8466 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Failed upgrade to 6.2 - no error message

bkdev

Failed upgrade to 6.2 - no error message

I am attempting to upgrade from HP SIM 5.3 SP3 to 6.2 on a Windows 2003 Standard server. When I run setup.exe the installation goes through without any error messages, but when it gets to the 'HP Systems Insight Manager' component the status goes instantaneously to "installed successfully". After I reboot and run HP SIM I find that it is still at version 5.3.

There is one odd bit of behaviour that I've noticed, and that is if I navigate to the \sim6200-win\hpsim\win\hpsim folder and attempt to run hpsim.exe directly I receive the error: "Windows cannot open this program because the license enforcement system has been tampered with or become corrupted." If I run that same executable using 'run-as' as an administrator account (even though the local account I'm logged in with is an admin) I receive a different error: "This program cannot be run by itself. Please use setup.exe to start the HP... etc".

So what I'm guessing is happening is that setup.exe is calling hpsim.exe when it gets to that point of the upgrade, but it apparently does not pass on the 'run-as' credentials. So hpsim.exe fails out with that error (although behind the scenes so that error is not actually displaying) and then setup.exe just continues on.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Any suggestions out there? I've tried running setup.exe with the 'run-as' parameter without any change.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
bkdev

I've attached the portion of the hpsim.log file that references the HP Systems Insight Manager component installation. Note the times, the installation apparently completes successfully after 30ms!
bkdev

Ah, I found the problem. That server is running Windows 2003 Web Edition which is incompatible. I upgraded to 2003 Standard and have done the 6.2 install successfully.