Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752676 Members
6264 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: High availability solution HP SIM

High availability solution HP SIM

Hello,

I would appreciate some reflections on my plans.

To implement a highly available solution for HP Systems Insight Manager I am thinking about an active/passive cluster for the sql-database and the HP SIM application to be installed on a NLB cluster. In terms of Microsoft, HP SIM is a stateless application.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks. Robert
8 REPLIES 8
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

See the paper "Deploying HP Systems Insight Manager on MSCS Clusters" at http://www.hp.com/servers/manage --> HP SIM --> Information Library

David,

I used the paper you mentioned. The sql-cluster solution is fine, but I need to know for SIM, can it be installed on a NLB cluster. According to MS it should. The paper doesnot mention NLB or active/active (stateless vs stateful).
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Can it? Possibly. Has it been tested and is it supported? No.

David,

Thank you for your comment. But should I install the HP SIM software on a active/active. active/passive or NLB cluster. From your answer I draw that NLB is not supported ?

Thanks.

Robert.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Correct. MSCS is the only supported high availability solution.

David,

In the pdf file you pointed out (I read it again very carefully) HP SIM is installed on an Active/active cluster. So the most easy thing would be to install it on a Active /passive cluster. You do not have to create all the generic services. Correct ??

You can install it once and the cluster takes care of the rest of the installation. I mean you don't have to install it on two nodes ?

I don't have the servers available at this time, that why i ask the questions.

Thanks for your answer !

Robert
JoopNL
Advisor

You do need to install it on both nodes yourself. Also you have to create Generic Services and other Cluster rescources. This is also explained in the "HPSIM on MSCS" PDF. HP SIM is not Cluster Aware! (Wich you probably understand does in no way mean it can't work very well on a cluster.)
Hazem Bahgat
Frequent Advisor

Greetings all,

i would like to inform and confirm that HP SIM Server can only be installed on Active\Passive solution, with MSCS Active\Passive cluster. this is up till Version 7.1.

in addition clustering, you must backup the SQL DB

Best Regards and Appreciation,
Hazem Bahgat

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.