1755516 Members
3999 Online
108834 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System Management Homepage - Cannot Connect

Steve Evernham
Advisor

Re: System Management Homepage - Cannot Connect

I am still working with HP on this issue to find its root cause and a solution, but we did find a workaround that seemed to work at first. But after a little bit of time had past, the same problem came back. The only good thing was that the server now has a link to the hompage in SIM. The change that we tested was setting the security for the SMHP to SNMP instead of WEBM and then having SIM perform an Identify System task on it.
Kathy Santerre_1

Has anyone deployed PSP 8.0 to Windows 2008?
Mike Stead
Advisor

Okay. Official word from HP is that it's broken. They have replicated the issue and have moved it up internally and hope to have a fix out soon.

The guy said if you need guaranteed SIM connectivity you should downgrade back to 7.91.

The only workaround is what JD13 came up with, or to connect remotly to the server after you have logged off and restart the SMH service. (ie Computer Management and Manage another computer)

My case is still open, but the guy said he had no idea when there would possibly be a fix.
AaronK
Frequent Advisor

Yep, I can reproduce it exactly the same way!
AK
Steve Evernham
Advisor

HP has also informed me that there is a problem within PSP 8.00A (didn't we tell them that?). My case is being escalalted and I will continue to work with them until we have a GOOD resolution or updated PSP.

Hang in there! Just keep deploying 7.91A in the mean time.
PYMO
Frequent Advisor

It's been a while.... Any news?

Thanks to all those who have helped troubleshooting this isssue. I had to live with it as I have to time to backtrack all of the servers.
Thanks!
This too will pass...
Steve Evernham
Advisor

We are waiting for HP to release an update or a new PSP image. They are recommending to use 7.91A until then. There is no ETA on the new release that I am aware of. If I hear of any updates being tested, I'll post about it.
mark q
Regular Advisor

this is nice, so after I've updated 500+ servers to support paq 8.0 now I have to re-update all of them????

what the heck.. right I don't have anything better to do..

have you had problems with vcrm reporting stuff that wasn't there? every bl25 g1 that I have is reporting the chipset identifiers wrong, and missing rompaq's even though they're instaled.

I've opened cases with hp about all of this stuff and haven't gotten anywhere.
Steve Evernham
Advisor

This whole situation is beyond frustrating. Its very apparent to me that HP did not do any where near sufficient testing on this release and has not lifted a finger to inform anyone that there are problems. Their site still shows the 8.00A PSP as the recommended install, even though its broken. Calling in for support on this was not a walk in the park either. I got passed from one area to another and eventually actually got back to the second person I spoke with. (That took over a week) I'm loosing faith in HP quickly anymore. There support is getting worse and worse, and now their "approved" software gives me the impression that they are relying on the user community to do their testing for them. This type of service and product will cost them. If they aren't careful and correct their internal issues quickly, they'll watch their share of the market go elsewhere.

BTW - I haven't heard ANYTHING from HP for quite a while regarding this case - so still no ETA on a fix.
Bernard Burette
Occasional Visitor

What surprises me most here is that the service itself is not stopped, why is it only the Apache web server spawned from "smhstart.exe" and called "hpsmhd.exe" who receives a "stop" order when someone logs off the console? The file named "C:\hp\hpsmh\logs\error_log" clearly states "Parent: Received shutdown signal -- Shutting down the server."

I've had a similar problem with a Java service a little while ago, fortunately sun provides a java.exe command line switch "-Xrs" that help addressing the situation.

Still, I can't see any good reason for Windows to send a shutdown signal to a service as a user logs off the console!