5836 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade to SIM V6.3 failing

Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

Upgrade to SIM V6.3 failing

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade my current SIM v6.1 to V6.3. At the start of the upgrade I get the message saying the current SQL 2005 Express SP3 will be upgraded to SQL 2008 R2, and after clicking next the message comes up saying upgrade to SQL2008 R2 in progress. But after a few minutes it fails with the message "SQL SERVER 2008 EXPRESS R2 INSTALLTION FAILED WITH EXIT CODE -2067920939"

I have rebooted the server few times and tried the upgrade again, but get the same message. Has anyone seen this message before, or know how to fix this issue.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Jens Ey
Frequent Advisor

Hi Abdul,

if the installation of a well-tested software like MS SQL fails there are normally only very few reasons:

1a Installation requirements,
1b especially access rights or
1c space (harddisk or RAM) or
2 corrupt installation media

So, first of all you should check whether or nor your systems meets the requirements with a close look on available hard disk space. Post the results here!

If everything is fine you should check that your copy of HP SIM is fine. Get yourself a program like md5sums.exe and verify the hash of the downloaded file. The above mentioned error code might indicate a corrupt hash value (see http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vssetup/thread/b61ddb9c-fcce-4aed-822a-8392ebe80221).

Third step would be to check the log files of the installation process. MS installers are normally leaving very detailed log files with helpfull error codes.

As last resort I would download MS SQL 2008 R2 express direktly from MS and start the installer directly The installation process does a lot of preflight checks and shows missed requirements.

Hope that helps,

Jens
shocko
Honored Contributor

I had similiar issues and i ended up upgrading SQL express directly before SIM.
If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
Abdul Rashid
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the responses, I have checked all the above and everything looks OK. I may have to upgrade SQL manually and then upgrade SIM. If that works will update the thread.

Thanks