StoreEver Tape Storage
1751807 Members
3408 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error 38: The service is not running, and Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now of

Wenping Yang

Error 38: The service is not running, and Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now of

Newly installed tape library and HP data protector express 4.00-sp1 single server edition, whenever I run backup, first I see error 38, then error 1040.

I have re-installed the software a few times, but still get the same error. Log file is attached. Any advice is appreciated.

System setup:

-Data Protector Express Single Server Version 4.0-sp1 (build 43064)
-HP Storageworks MSL2024
-HP Proliant DL380 G6 running Windows 2003 server (32-bit)
-Two SAS controllers. P212 connects to tape library. P410i connects to internal disks (RAID 1) and external disk array (RAID 50)
-"Test device job" is completed without errors.
4 REPLIES 4
Frank Hall

Re: Error 38: The service is not running, and Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now of

I am getting the same error using the DP Express Backup Server edition. MSL4048 direct connect to the server on fiber. The best I have been able to find is i tmay be a permissions issue, but I haven't resolved it.
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Have you entered the license key for Data Protector Express Single Server Edition? There's a process after you do the install for getting a permanent key.

Also, are you using the machine that SSE is installed on to back itself up (that is, you're not trying to grab data from another server)?
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Wenping Yang

Yes, I have entered the permanent key.
I am using the machine that Data Protector Express is installed on to back a directory on itself.
Rajanikant
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I will suggest a couple of things here

1. Check if the licenses you have installed is correct. Also ensure that you have installed only the correct licenses and not other licenses. If you find any other license installed there, i will recommand to remove it and check.

2. If your MSL Library have more than 1 drive in it, DPX may not be able to address both the drives and give problems. You will need an extra " Drive expansion license " for the second drive. To confirm this, you can disable the 2nd drive in the library from OCP, restart the DPX services and check

Hope this helps

Raj