New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data protector express with VLS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Abeer_1
Advisor

Data protector express with VLS

Hi All,

a customer has purchased DP express LTU with D2D2any (3 TB) agent and he has two servers one Oracle and one Sybase, Can he perform a backup using this LTU on VLS...

Note: Special 10 points for immediate reply...
10 REPLIES 10
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

You can use VLS with D2Dany LTU but you need to have Drive extension LTU (BB133AA) as well.

It is presumed you have following licenses besides above.
1.Media Server LTU (BB119AA) installed in a server to which VTL is attached.
2. Backup Server LTU (BB117AA)
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Sameer, as I understand DPX VTL is not the same as VLS.
VLS is special disk appliance presented as usual tape library when VTL is disk space, managed directly by DPX.
So you can use VLS on second stage -- D2ANY.
For example, it could be that you backup from the source disk to a target disk that is configured as a virtual library (D2D). Then the D2D2ANY capability will then manage the movement of the data from disk to tape (or disk or optical, or real virtal lybrary like VLS6105/6109/6840/etc.)
Native Oracle (RMAN) and Sybase integration is not supported by DataProtector Express. You can only do offline (when Oracle/Sybase is not running) file backups of this servers or you can use Windows Volume Shadow Copy Services (VSS) with DPX .
For Oracle/Sybase integration you need Data Protector (not express) with on-line extension.
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Also if you backup only to DPX VTL you don't need Drive extension LTU.
If VTL space is attached to backup server you don't need additional Media Server LTU.
Abeer_1
Advisor

Thanks for your help...

But I have one more clarification, Do I need a D2D2any agent for each server in the environment or just for total TB I will backup?
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

D2D2any is not a agent, this is a license to total capacity.
I have attached licensing guide, look into it.

Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

D2D2any is license (LTU). You need to have this license installed in backup server. Since you have 3TB license, you have total VTL licensed capacity of 3TB in the storage management domain.
Abeer_1
Advisor

Thanks again...

Could I use VLS as VTL? as it is MSA20 with SATA drives?
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Yes , you can.
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

Sameer,
how he can use VLS as VTL?
I cannot find how this library can be presented as disk resource.
DPX can create VTL only on disk resources.
Also I cannot find in DPX compatibility matrix that it support VLS in native mode.
Only DP (not express) Advanced Backup to Disk (with patch) can work with VLS in "native" mode.
All others must use VLS as tape library or tape (HP ESL E-Series and MSL tape libraries as well as 1/8 autoloaders, HP Ultrium 230 (LTO1), HP Ultrium 460 (LTO2), HP Ultrium 960 (LTO3), DLT 7000, DLT 8000, and SDLT 320)

May be I'm wrong, but where you found this possibility?