Re: Simplivity restore deleted VM from backup from external StoreOnce store

SOLVED
Go to solution
LimReg
Occasional Contributor

Simplivity restore deleted VM from backup from external StoreOnce store

Hello,

Simplivity version 4.0.1 

Is it posible to restore a deleted VM from external store (StoreOnce)?

GUI Shows me:

You cannot perform Backup Actions on external store backups from this dialog. To manage external store backups, use the Search backups dialog from the virtual machine.

VM is deleted so I can't search from it.

Is it posible to do it via CLI? Or maybe there are options to move backup from External Store to local Simplivity?

6 REPLIES 6
sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @LimReg,

If it is a snapshot-based backup, you can't restore the deleted VM. If it was a cloned or full backup, you could restore it.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

LimReg
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I'm not sure about backup types, but simplivity does not allow to change any of it and I think it does it automaticaly by itself.

Besides it was a first backup of VM and crash consistent so I think it should be a full backup.

sbhat09
HPE Pro

Hello @LimReg,

Even if it is crash-consistent backup, it requires the parent VM (crashed/broken state is fine) in place to restore.

Have you done backup via any backup application? Or you directly backed up via the options available in simplivity/VMware?

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

LimReg
Occasional Contributor

No I havent done a backup with other tools, simplivity is the only solution we are using to backup VMs.

So you're saing if the backup is stored only on StoreOnce (External store) and VM is being deleted there is no option to restore it?

I found this in OmniStack Administrators guide:

If you need to restore a virtual machine from a backup on an external store that is associated with multiple

clusters and the datastore where the original virtual machine was located is deleted, see the instructions in

Restore a virtual machine from a backup on an external store.

But there were no instructions inside.

This gives me hope that there is posibility to restore a VM maybe it just needs some additional actions

LimReg
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Finaly I have sucessfully restored a deleted VM from a backup in StoreOnce

For this to succeed OVC has to be version 4.1.0 or higher

It was done by scripts which I got from HPE support. Script names:

dsv-cfgdb-inject-sql

dsv-external-store-listbackups

dsv-external-backup-gettagsmetadata

dsv-external-backup-restore

As I was informed currently this is the only way of restoring a deleted VM from External Store.

I heard that this functionality is planned to be added to GUI in later releases.

jfrobs
Frequent Advisor

I saw on Linkedin that it happened to another person than you. He obviously recreated a virtual machine with the same name in the simplivity infrastructure and was able to restore the vm directly via the built-in backup tool.